soundproofing an exercise bike

My downstairs neighbor is complaining about hearing my exercise bike. So I was wondering if putting it up on its own mini platform of 2x4's with a sheet of plywood and a layer of gym mat rubber would stop the floor vibration which is what I think is bothering him.

Sound is usually transmitted in two ways through buildings: airborne and structure-born. Your approach would try to address one of these. Putting the bike on something mushy will reduce structure-born noise, but will have minimal effect on the airborne noise, if there is any.
Lining the bike-room walls with mushy stuff, will reduce the airborne noise, as will sealing any gaps or holes in the assemblies between your units. (Door gaps, cracks where walls meet floors in wood frame buildings, air/exhaust ducts, etc.)
Sound isolation is an art, and you might commit to trying various strategies until you get an adequate effect. I think I'd skip the 2x4s. I'd try multiple layers of different density.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

My wife has an exercise bike in a prewar apartment in NYC and in an old wood frame house. She uses rubber mats she bought from the dealer and they seem to work. I think vibration through the building structure is the major issue. T

ok thanks, the bike itself is not that noisy, your right it is just the vibration through the floor
Don wrote:

Turnip-shaped! ;D