Re: XP

Wow... that would be tough... You'd need to get SP2 and all the other tweak installs and updates on disk...

Yes. You'll need to call in to "authorize" it, though...

Yes. You'll need to call in to "authorize" it, though...

I've done it. I know I didn't get XP until this apartment. I've never had net in this apartment. You will at some point need to telephone them, iirc.
In a previous post Don wrote...

Don:
See if you can find a copy of Win2K. It's a lot more stable than Win98 and it doesn't require all that authorization stuff.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Ditto Bob's comment...

Everything runs better on W2K than 98... trust me
Because of this

Do not do this.

That stuff is much more stable on XP. And if it DOES break you don't have to be rebooting.

Of the upgrade stuff, what's important? There's some mobile networking and lots of internet security. Is there anything that _matters_ for what Don might be doing with the machine? I don't know, I don't really pay attention. If he doesn't have it on the net he won't care about the critical net security patches.
Yeah that's true but it is worth getting SP2 on it because a lot of SP2 is non net related stuff like help files, wizards, printing/scanning and other fixes. But like someone said, he could burn SP2 to disk and run/install it that way.

OK, hence my asking.