Re: Jazz

Page 2 of 2

Good stuff. Knock 'em dead. ;)
Seriously, though, lately, I've begun to casually question whether "better-looking" or "attractive" is necessarily actually better, desireable or attractive, or what we mean by it. For example, some faces that some might consider as "less attractive" can be some of the more interesting or intriguing, hence, attractive, to me... Naturally, then there's personality, form, movement, poise, intelligence, style, habits, creativity, depth, etc... There are some women that just move in certain ways that I prefer, for example.

Did he say how, or with whom? Because, as you know, a child may get away with one thing with Dad, but not the same thing with Mom. Artists may paint works just for themselves too... with the acknowledgement that I don't always let myself get away with everything. ;)

Even in my relatively short relationships, I've noticed that... but I think I'd feel the same way with someone who was perfectly suited to me... It's a bit like the idea of sitting down when you're tired; after awhile of doing that, you feel the need to get back up. So I doubt it's so much love being stupid as being realistic. :) Unsure it's true, but I've heard that, at least in general, humans are naturally polygamous (if that's the right word), and so a lifelong mate seems to go a little against that. Despite that, the idea of settling down with someone for a longer while is very appealing.

Yup. There is a certain look of disappointment and hurt that is far, far worse then being beaten with sticks.

True, and well-said.

I think it's related to the delusion that external things "make" one happy. In which case, other people are also seen as things. A "hot babe" is little diferent from "a hot car"; a "rich husband" ias like "a diamond necklace" - things, adornments, externals.
Ego is a blindfold, preventing us from seeing even ourselves. Bedazzled by our own imagined brilliance, we are blinded to all else, even to Life itself.
INteresting poem, BTW:

Don; I agree with you. My wife and I have lived with "truth and trust as everything" going on 44 years of marriage and it works. Oh, and we also love each other. CID...

I think it pretty sure that he's talking about art in the institutional context.

You left out a lot of people. Typing up a list of good jazz performers is like typing up a list of pretty women. It'll never end until you're bored typing.

*Really?* ; }

RicodJour wrote:

And some you'll never be able to type because they're unknown to you.

And the one's you don't know, others will know intimately-- with their hair and breasts hanging out; jewelry, makeup and clothes completely removed, and open-- their purest form. (never liked tatoos, btw) Thanks for that sensational inspiration, Rico. It helps maintain my position that the purest form of art is the art you "never" see.

Bot tats (and piercings) can be OK on some people, and look out-of-place on others. It all depends on the adornments, and the individual.
((I am compelled, as always, toadd yet another level of "hypercomplexificationalization" <LOL!>))

What's not to get?
http://www.outsideshore.com/school/music/almanac/html/Elements_Of_Jazz/index.htm
swing rhythm and improvisation, along with a live performance you will never see or hear again.
Well at least the good ones.
--
Edgar

It really can and will be all over the place. Thelonius Monk has always made me scratch my head (in a good way), as to what the hell he was thinking. But the thing is, a lot of it is NOT thinking, it is just doing. That to me is improvisation. Where you get to the point where you just know the scales to play in. It becomes second nature and what you do then is just let out whatever it is you have inside.
--
Edgar

He was one of the truly great innovators, IMHO. I still remember when I saw his obit... in a discarded newspaper face up on the floor of a streetcar on my way back from a run on the beach in the dead of winter. A sad day.

That would make for a strong image. SImilar to this one that is about Stevei Ray Vaughn:
http://home.earthlink.net/~geneg/pictures/SRV-Tribute.jpg
"Don"

Jazz, like any category of music, contains works that I like-- that move me-- and some that don't. I think it mostly has to do with the chords, or the harmonic structure. Interestingly, I seem to almost prefer some forms of Jazz as background music/"noise" that I don't entirely concentrate on, such as if I'm doing something else, especially like socializing. On the other hand, some tunes (no matter the genre) I prefer to focus on with little or no interruption, and to listen to alone or at least with others who are doing the same thing.

Maybe your next calling will be to be a composer. Back when I'd started playing, it was a compulsion, trying to get what was in my head out into some format. If music compells you to the point of grabbing you away from anything else, maybe you shouldn't fight it ;)
[ snippage ]

Well, people grow, people change. I stopped playing for several reasons, and tend to write music in spurts - but ti's an integral part of my mind, of my way of perceiving and interpreting the world: I don't think that ever leaves a person.

Maybe it's just a phase. You've been through a move (alwasy a long, complicated, and stressful process), you have work projects, things yopu need to to to the house, and so on. THat's a lot going on. My guess is that, if/when things settle in a bit more, you'll play again. "The everything, there is a season..." ;)

First off, there are various types of Jazz. By no means is it a monolithic music form. It ranges from very, almost mathematically, abstract, through melodic. It's soul is improvisational, but it isn't restricted to that.
It tends to include a lot of syncopation and unexpected, even superficially distonic, chord/note progressions. It's not quite "12- tone", which can include stuff that to me just sounds like a toddler banging on a keyboard, but it does not restrict itself in terms of key or rhythm.
Some I like, some I don't, and some is like reading Harlan Ellison - gets me so POed I want to throw it against the wall, but nevertheless comells me to continue on, wrestle with it, alsmost like the old Biblical story of the fellow who wrestled with the Angel.