Re: Jazz

I don't get it.

For me, jazz is a little like wine: I need to have it accompanied. I can get it, but don't always want it. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

I'll bet you "get" running scales and paint by numbers.

Reply to
Secretia Green

I'd abolish all jazz! (Except for Mingus... and Parker... and Dizzy... and Trane... and Miles... and Ornette Coleman... and Satchmo... and Prez... and Count... and Duke... and Benny Goodman... and Bill Evans... and Gil Evans... and Kid Ory... and Joe Pass... and Dewey Redmond... and Louis Prima... and Louis Jordan... and Lambert, Hendrix and Ross... and Dinah Washington... and Lady Day... and Ella... and OP... and Bud Powell... and Horace Silver... and Sonny Rollins... and Sonny Stitt... and Stan Getz... and Stanley Turrentine... and Monk... and Mulligan... and the Doresy brothers and their bands... and Woody Herman... and Jack Teagarden... and Glen Miller... and all the "sweet" bands... and Herbie Handcock... and Sidney Bechet... and Dexter Gordon... and Chet Baker... and Cannonball... and Benny Carter... and Art Tatum... and Fats Waller... and Willie the Lion Smith... and James P Johnson... and Clifford Brown... and Django Reinhart... and Stephane Grappelli... and Peggy Lee... and Eartha Kit... and Niona Simone... and Lena Horn... and Roemary Clooney... and Sarah Vaughan... and Anita O'Day... and Blossom Dearie... and Eddie Jefferson... and Johnnie Hartman and

Other than those, I'd abolish it all! After that, I'd start abolishing all painting I didn't understand, which would be most, except for Dogs Playing Poker, but I'd have to take a rest first from all that abolishin'. Then after a while, I'd get around to abolishin' all universities. Too much education makes people like jazz and paintin' and stuff...Don't even get me started on that 'classical music' garbage....Wagner! Ha! A goner.)

Actually caught a bit of "Born Yesterday" last night on Turner.

Which speaks to the same issue of ignorance/violence/selfishness, but much funnier than anything, even the inadvertent stuff, on this group. The cast is fantastic, especially Judy Holliday playing the gangster's moll. She won an oscar for that role, and beat out for Bette Davis in "All About Eve" and Gloria Swanson for "Sunset Boulevard". Tough competition.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

(Forgot to spare Dodo Marmarosa. Sorry Dodo.)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Oops. Left out Art Blakey, and Charlie Rouse.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I've said that the purest form of art is the art you "never" see. I said it with the idea of art with a profit-driven motive as a lesser art. So in some philosophic senses, I "reject" much of what is called art, including music, etc.

As for your list(s), your culture seems more generous to you than me and maybe Don. Fortunately perhaps, there's now the internet, where, ironically, the art that is "never" seen is being enjoyed by many, freely.

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Reply to
Warm Worm

So, the art you never see is better... How do you know that? Faith- based art critic?

RicodJour

You left out a lot of people. Typing up a list of good jazz performers is like typing up a list of pretty women. It'll never end until you're bored typing.

RicodJour

That you're going to have to elaborate for me. Warning: I took a couple of aesthetics courses in school, and it's more or less ruined me for these types of discussions. I usually stick to formal topics, or to "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" hand gestures. Have you heard McLuhan's (short) definition of art?

Well, I am the one doing the abolishin'....and I did give you the BIG loophole at the end. Did you want to let Pat Metheny, Gary Burton, Jack DeJohnette, Gary Peacock, and Kieth Jarrett into the Jazz Ark before we shove off into the brave new world?

I've been thinking, though...since the guys at alt.architecture are going to abolish all cities, maybe I don't have to do a thing to jazz. It's urban music. Presumably once all the cities are gone, jazz will be too.

"We'll always have Branson."

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

*Really?* ; }

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well why not? ;D

But I put quotes around "never" for a reason.

And in any case, without quotes, I could have been writing more poetically. Life can be one giant canvas where you create your own works of religion, foolery, art, etc..

But go ahead: Compose music under a corporate contract and call it art. Call it your foolery. I might even have a laugh for a fee.

Reply to
Warm Worm

On first read, it reminded me of "Invisible Boy" who could only be invisible when nobody was looking...

(There's lots in that one for Ken. Pee Wee Herman's in it.)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I imagine many of the world's philosophers were self-taught. At the same time, books might play a hand in corrupting thinking or derailing trains of thought, in making them "lesser".

Like Ebert and Roper.

No. Language is dynamic.

Reply to
Warm Worm

And some you'll never be able to type because they're unknown to you.

Reply to
Warm Worm

-- Except to his spirit, soul, friends, family: There's your "invisible"-art clue, BTW.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Except taller, fitter, and better looking.

He said, "Art is what you can get away with." (sic)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I'll take it you're not going to Tivo the next "American Idol."

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Probably not.

Reply to
Warm Worm

You forgot security cameras.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

No matter. Next time you're in a mall, you'll hear'em. There's commercial radio on at my gym, and the same stuff plays for there for months. Only later do I learn that those sounds are from some Idol or other.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich