Re: Gehry... question (is he really a genious)

I read this article - wouldn't a decent 3D model/simulation with a good facsimile of sunlight have revealed at least some of these problems? There is a program available (found the link via a posting in alt.architecture) that, from what I can see at http://www.visualsunchart.com , calculates the sun position for different latitudes at different seasons. It'd be good even for non-architectural 3D work. Only drawback is that I don't see that it tells you the light color for the different angles, so that has to be worked out on one's own I suppose (although a lot of people still seem to forget about the change in light color and intensity with different sun angles, tho' that's a different topic).
I also found this article http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/bs99/papers/C-22.pdf which discusses what the authors call the "solar rights envelope", as it relates to the urban environment. I didn't see a specific reference to using a computer program - IOW, it seems to discuss a process done "by hand" so to speak.
Obtaining Solar Radiation Data: http://www.nrel.gov/gis/solar_maps.html http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/shining/chap6.html
At any rate, the point to all this is, that the glare problem seems (to my lay-person's mind) to be something that ought to have been forseen by somebody.....
OK, back to lurking!
- K.

*Sorry for the crosspost*, this was in answer to something in another group and, since I rarely do that and since crossposts only seem to happen occasionally, I'm not in the habit of checking and forgot to do so...
- K.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:41:30 GMT, Kris Krieger

could you direct me to the original thread? i'd like to take a look at it.
thanks.
--H.S.

It was in alt.building.archetecture, same title as the above subject.
HTH