Physical Security Research Materials

All,

Due to the wide and growing overlap and convergence of IT with the Physical Environment, I am doing a project on the physical aspects of security in a comparative analysis between the United States and Scandinavia.

I am in need of approximately 20 books for a research project on designing with security in mind.

I am comparing United States Architecture with Scandinavian Architecture with regards to security.

The following books I have in my possession.

Security - Planning & Design - A Guide for Architects and Building Design Professionals, AIA (2004) Effective Physical Security - Third Edition, Lawrence J. Fennelly (2004 Building Security (Red Book) - Handbook for Architectural Planning and Design. Nadel (2004) Creating Defensible Space - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (1996) History of the United States Capital - A chronicle of design, construction and politics, William C. Allen (2001) Computer Security Handbook (Chapter 14 only) - 4th Edition (2002)

If someone could help me with about 14/15 more books, including any emphasizing security techniques in Scandinavia as well, I would appreciate it.

I would like to break down these 20 books into 5 segments of 4 books to span a study period of approximately 6 months.

Concepts that I'd like more information on are

  • Security by Obscurity
  • Transparent Security
  • Minimalist Architecture being analogous to the Physical Security Requirements of today.

I eagerly look forward to any suggestions for materials you could provide.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Saab Guy

Don,

What do you mean by that exactly?

Can you provide additional resource materials?

- R

Reply to
Saab Guy

Environment, I am doing a project on the physical aspects of security in a comparative analysis between the United States and Scandinavia.

with security in mind.

regards to security.

Professionals, AIA (2004)

Nadel (2004)

politics, William C. Allen (2001)

emphasizing security techniques in Scandinavia as well, I would appreciate it.

study period of approximately 6 months.

Requirements of today.

I think it might be a challenge... Most of our security concerns have been post 9/11. Sure, there was stuff around before that, but nothing like today. It's too new, too recent and most academics probably aren't up-to-date on their theory to include "security" as an important design element. Most practicing architects are too busy running their business to spend time writing books...

I don't recall there being 14-15 books written on the topic...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Environment, I am doing a project on the physical aspects of security in a comparative analysis between the United States and Scandinavia.

with security in mind.

with regards to security.

Professionals, AIA (2004)

Design. Nadel (2004)

and politics, William C. Allen (2001)

emphasizing security techniques in Scandinavia as well, I would appreciate it.

a study period of approximately 6 months.

Requirements of today.

That is very true. It seems hard, and it looks like there will need to be whitepapers as replacement for these non-existant books.

Reply to
Saab Guy

Sure, but how much of it was publicly published? Isn't the point of some of the security stuff to keep people from knowing just how it works so they can't circumvent it?

Reply to
3D Peruna

EDS,

Thanks.

I just went down to the AIA Headquarters (across from the White House) here in D.C. and picked up a book on "Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design" (CPTED).

That should be good too.

-R

Reply to
Saab Guy

Here are my current collection of Physical Security books or books that contain chapters specifically pertaining to.

Saab Guy

Sounds like time to mention "defensible space".

Reply to
gruhn

Gruhn,

I do now have that large printout from the Department of Housing as the book is out of print.

Thanks.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy