My favorite moderist

Page 1 of 2
http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/
Should have titled it, "Take that! Building codes....."

A few places around tropical Australia that look like that, except the glass is replaced by louvre panels - with insect screens. Would probably need overhangs or window hoods as well. Glenn Murcutt has done several.
http://www.butterpaper.com/editorials/editorial150402.htm
These also present a problem where building codes and so-called 'energy efficiency' criteria are concerned, but we also have the option of "peer review" eg if enough experts say its ok - then its ok :-)
Some of us are looking at developing a prefabricated modular system based on cold-formed steel portal frames - maybe it could turn out to be "Mies and Glenn" for the rest of us :-)

As much as I like Murcutt, these only look alike from a great distance. Have you seen Mies up close? (IOW, where are you?) Also, in broad strokes, there's a levity in Murcutt that's entirely missing in Mies, unless you think the Seagram's mullion was supposed to be funny.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I was joking sort of, but also wondering about the framing, how easy it would be to fabricate. Haven't seen Mies up close. The only one of the recent greats I've seen much of is Corbusier. All that lovely off-form concrete turning black and green :-)

Tropical Australia. Met Murcutt when I was teaching architecture at PNG University of Technology - he used to come over every so often to do sessions in the design studio.
Here the glass panels would not only attract insects, but would end up almost opaque - gunk from cane toads hurling themselves at it :-)
Troppo wrote:

Here in the natural for real swamp of DC, we have many sorts of creatures and people hurling themselves at anything in their way. :)

If you're teaching then I don't have to tell you that Mies is almost facistically about control. We have a cluster of Seagram's clones here in TO, and they have aged very well compared to all the other towers. They are a bunch older than the rest of the modern ones, but the idea behind them continues to resonate, though I don't know how many architectural fashions. They're very sophisticated.

Must be paradise. Lat. and long.?

C'mon. All you need is a small crew of window cleaners until the photographer shows up!

Er - well - sometimes :-)
19.19 S, 146.68 E
http://people.aapt.net.au/jclark19 /

A torch and spear gun is a popular method. I prefer a sledge-hammer ...

Oooof, that yellow text on the black background is harsh...
OTOH, Australian links of interest, my sister lives in Sydney and I was interested in the continent-nation long before it became "sheek" in the US ;)

Sorry about that - time for a style upgrade maybe? I did it like that years ago, so the links could be seen clearly on crappy screens. Some of the material has been on the net since about 1992. Black background = all guns off = lower radiation on a CRT.

True, but is it currently relevant? Not being rude, just suggesting something a bit less jarring.

Apparently we now have a general obligation here to design web pages that do not unecessarily discriminate against the vision-impaired. Some of the charts and graphs on my employer's website have been modified to accord with this - eg line-art instead of colours, good contrast etc. Begs the question as to the extent that the impairment is being caused by looking at all this stuff in the first place :-)
[ ... ]

Well, that last point is an interesting question ;)
OTOH, there is a difference (albeit not a definite line, more like a gradient) between something being mroe readable in general, and something designed for the visually impaired.
It's all a matter of target audience, tho'. If a website is intended to be accessible to as wide an audience as possible, then yes, work has to be put into making it clear/readable to as many people as possible. For example, a site with information about cancer, or how to avoid parasitic infections, or safety information.
It doesn't seem to me that your target audience would be narrower. Color doesn't have to be eliminated; OTOH, there are "color-blindness palettes" online (I think I still have the files, let me know whether you'd like me to check and send them if I still do), socolors can eb chosent aht still look good to a general audience, but also look distinguishable to the majority of people with color-vision impairment.
Generally, tho', it's been noted for years that light text on a dark background can be difficult for people. One option migh tbe to use a paint program to do up some simple text buttons with a minimum of colors and using the web-safe palette, save them as JPG or GIF (not all browsers can read PNG, esp. older ones, so JPG and GIF offer the greatest accessibility), and load them into your page.
Dunno whetehr that's of any use but HTH ;)
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Every time i look at that glass house in the large owned landscape I have several related thoughts. First, form the ordinary person perspective, you have to have the bucks to own enough land around that no one is going to obscure your view or enjoy your strip show.
and
Who cleans the glass of bug suicides? Where are those thingies on the glass to prevent birds from joining the suicide mission? Reminds me of open houses where the real estate agents have removed all the screens in summer to provide a false idea of the reality of the house

The criticisms of glass houses has been well made, and I share them, however it's not the glass (at all) that I like so much about Mies. It's the *ORDER*.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I find the order part of what I dislike, because it is soboringly simplistic, doesn't reflect the flow of human activitity and relates to a life I would rathre not have.

I wouldn't live in it either, but know Mies looks *simple*, but isn't. Have you ever tried to design to a module?
BTW, he didn't do a lot of houses for a reason... and it wasn't the fees.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

One of my top favorites: http://www.desertutopia.com/g1.html
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Actually, yes. Design a functional living space 10x10 feet with 7'6 ceilings.

It's absolute stupid.