favorite plants

Anybody have a favorite indoor/house plant? Mine was my cacti garden, until wyatt (my 2yr old) and the cacti got into a tug a war. Got to find a new house plant now................wyatt had some scrapes, but the cacti completely lost.

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Bamboo Begonia.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Poor kid!

Just keep it edible! Honestly, I like my dracaena.

Cheryl Isaak

My sixth-grade school teacher gave me a coleus cutting. Of course, I don't have the original plant, but I do get new cuttings each year. I'm now 53. I almost lost the plant last winter and had a plantlet smaller than a pea (I have pics). Now I have 5 huge coleus plants growing outdoors taken from the tiny plant. The game is to take new cuttings must be taken before the first frost.

Another favorite is a cast iron plant which has bloomed. It seems to thrive well on neglect.

I have a cactus collection too, about 50 different cacti. One favorite was taken from the southern CA coast (Palos Verdes) 17 years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sansevieria - AKA Mother in Law's Tongue or Snakeskin Plant.

VIrtually unkillable and attractive, IMO Grows in sun or shade.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hmmm...I love mint and roses, but having gone more seriously into gardening, I'd be hard pressed to choose. When I get around to ordering a jasmine plant from Gurney's, that will probably be my fave :-) I *love* jasmine...

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Have a care with Gurney's. I've had some substandard results with them years ago. They aren't the same outfit as they were decades ago. Many of them aren't.

you can find your jasmine locally, it would be best. Or serch one of the links provided below.

Amos posted this earlier and it is good.

I'll add this link: up one level

Growin' Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I've only ordered bareroot raspberries from them so far, but those were great(they started leafing out as soon as they were potted inside(until the weather was better, I put one outside as a test and when it did well, the others went), sending up new canes, and already got some berries forming(we got them this April and it was a coupon deal so we got them free, including shipping). I'm not sure what to expect with a jasmine, and it is to be an indoor plant, so I'm hopeful. If it is defective, well it's only $10, no biggie, I got that for one of my lilacs this Sunday at my little farmer's market type stand(we have an overabundance of lilacs/strawberries/wild roses/hens and chicks here, so I'm potting quite a few each week to sell, in addition to crafts). I can't wait til the yukon gold potatoes are done growing so I can sell the excess as well(how would I tell if they're done without pulling them up and disturbing them btw?), same for my garlic(I planted like 10-15 cloves and they've all sprouted). Think one of my cayenne peppers might have sprouted too, hope so...I won't use them myself really('cept for an ointment for frostbite/chilblains and the like), so they're all for market

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Sounds like a fun enterprise you have goin', Lilah.

Man, I love lilacs. Wonderful fragrance. During bloom time we keep vases of them all over the house. I grew up with them and five years ago returned to the home place and dug enough to put up a thirty foot screen of them.

This year was set to be a fine bloom, and then that two week killer cold hit us and destroyed the forming bloom buds.

Next year, I guess.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

We had a late 2 week snowstorm here too, but the lilacs are used to the late frosts and such here, so they still bloomed. I saved some of them blossoms and dried them to make lilac water to sell as perfume at our stand. Just waiting to get the right containers before I make the lilac water. We've got

1.2 acres here, somewhat of a rectangle shape(the 'front' of our property, the side that faces the street, starts out rather narrow, then widens as it gets to the 'back'), so maybe more of a trapezoid? I can't remember geometry crap...I repressed everything school-related. Anyways, the long sides, about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the fence is all lilacs, came with the property, as did the wild roses, strawberries, cherry/apple trees. I can't stand all the pine trees though...having to constantly rake up the needles and pick up the pine cones(and I've seen them knock down big ass branches on their way down...I'm afraid one of these days I'm gonna get brained by a falling pinecone). I want oak and sugar maple and a weeping willow tree, etc...NO PINE TREES! NO MORE! Been picking up after them for 4 years....
Reply to
Lilah Morgan