Green Roof

To All:
Anybody here have experience with a "Green Roof" project?
What kinds of roof slope are possible?
Any links to good information?
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Ford Motor did a large one here in Mich.
http://www.greenroofs.org/pages/grhc2004_ford.htm

Doing one at the moment - will dig out my links for you later
As to the angle of dangle I'm sure you can get 20 deg +
Not sure what the max is though
HTH
Tim
P.Fritz wrote:

In a previous post P.Fritz says...

Paul:
Thanks for the link. The Ford project is about 300 times the scale of the project I'm looking at. The client wants to build a small (32x46) wine storage/ageing building. Current plan is insulated concrete form (ICF) walls with "Green Roof" on steel deck/joist roof framing.
Looks like I may be playing both architect and engineer on this one. So, I may be back to the group for some general advice on a few topics.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Tim:
Thanks for the links. I will check them out as soon as I get the job.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Doing one at the moment
An extensive type herb rich one - the idea is to try and get an even green colour as the sedum planted ones can look quite patchy
Flat roof on a school extension 378m sq in an urban environment
Will be over looked by houses on a sloping site so we wanted something nicer than single ply sheeting
The planners were against the idea - no pleasing some people I guess
Bob Morrison wrote:

There is a Winery in San Luis Obispo, CA that uses hay/straw bales for exterior walls, reason being that they keep the lace at a perfect temperature, no matter what its like outside. Couldn't find a good link, i'll keep an eye out. Its basically a post and beam system, with straw bales as infill, but they can also be used as structural members. The straw bales MUST be protected from moisture though. Just a thought.
-- Night_Seer

Make sure you post it if you ever find it, I'd be interested to see it.
Sounds like it might some similarites conceptually to the one Herzog and de Meuron did in Napa Valley. For those not familar with that one here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/9fvkd
Bob Morrison wrote:

This is fairly close to what I did...see my other post.
Bob Morrison wrote:

Bob,
It occured to me that my "other post" didn't ever show up.
Here's what I have on my house...only the garage has a "green" roof on it.
28'x28' square. ICF walls w/ CMU veneer that becomes a parapet. 8" hollow-core planks. 2" min. structural conc. topping. Carlisle "green" roof system - Hot-mopped asphalt - 2" rigid insulation. - EPDM system w/ proper flashing & counter flashing - 2 loose layed layers for water retention.
Call up Carlisle's website.
There are two type of systems...a shallow "intensive" and a deep "extensive". Mine's the shallow type.
In a previous post 3D Peruna says...

Paul:
Thanks for the tips. I was think of hollow core planks also, instead of a bar joist and metal deck system. however, along those lines I've also been thinking of something like a 12-inch x 12 gage "C" purlin/rafter with metal deck, "Fescoe" board, and waterproof membrane .
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

I would have done differently, except I had a floor-to-floor height I wanted/needed to maintain. The hollowcore was the thinnest section available for the span.