After a two week vacation in Prague and Milan....

There's a good chance I'll probably retire in Prague.
Exceptional city- just beautiful.
Unbelievably, about 80% of the buildings in the historic center are restored. No sign of the flooding two years ago either.
Took 3000 pictures with the new Canon 350D; not a bad camera either. If anyone is considering it, I highly recommend it as a good quality 'prosumer' camera. On the down side, I'll be missing slide film....
Marcello (who missed Katrina in SE Florida)
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

Yeah, Prague was just amazing. Not a single facade looked like the next, but it all just fit together so beautifully. Did you get to see the castle? After our tour of Prague, we took a train to Berlin. It was one of the best train trips ever, and I saw a lot of beautiful buildings, and even a bridge I'd only seen in architectural books.
I didn't have such a good camera when I went, I hope someday to go back to Europe again.
--
Night_Seer

Yes, saw the castle. Seven day trip went roughly like so:
Arrived Friday night. Saturday- general walk around town to get oriented, up to Castle entrance and back to Old Town square (our hotel was 5 minutes away). Evening concert at Smetana Hall in the Obecni Dum (the beautifully restored Art Nouveau municipal 'house') Sunday- Castle: St. Vitus cathedral, Vladislav hall, St. George, Golden Lane, and a walk through Stare Mesto Monday- National museum most of the day (rain)- lots of geology, some paleotology, zoology and archeology; train station and walk to National theatre Tuesday- TV tower, Vinohrady district, Fred and Ginger, Jean Nouveau 'Angel' building +shopping center; royal gardens, Loreto, castle and parliament entry area, St. Nicholas Church Wednesday- Alfons Mucha museum, St. Agnes Museum (medieval to Renaissance Czech art), 1905 exhibition hall, Troja Palace Thursday- New town hall, river walk, Stare Mesto and Devil's brook area, Rudolfinium, Jewish Quarter (briefly) Friday- Jewish Quarter, Old town square- departure.
'Fred and Ginger' (Gehry building) basically sucked with respect to the unbelievable amount of well detailed turn-of-the-century eclectic and Art Nouveau buildings. Nouveau's shopping mall was straightforward and nothing special.
Marcello
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

Should read Jean Nouvel

url?
It'll take some time. And I have to remember how to post to the website, which I haven't down in a while...... I'll try to get a few key ones up next week.
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

This is what I use:
http://www.ornj.net/software/webalbum /
After its done "generating", its just a matter of uploading the album via ftp, and its done for you. Great little tool to get photos up to a site quickly.
Here's an example on my site:
http://www.edgarcamacho.com/Mammoth /
--
Night_Seer

snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

Figuring 5 seconds to compose, meter and take the shot, another 5 seconds walking about to get the angle you want, and 2 seconds per shot for overhead and profit...let's see...carry the 3...divide by 360...urp (sorry, too much Pepsi)...ends up to be 100 HOURS!
Even if it was a just 2 seconds a shot (can you say blurry?) that's still ~16 hours just clicking a camera.
How long was this trip??
RicodJour wrote:

7 days,..... and your math is wrong. 3000 x 7 seconds a shot is 21000 secs /3600 secs/hr = 6 hrs total.
(too much Pepsi is right)
Marcello
snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote:

Yep. The urp affected the calc by one order of magnitude! Never underestimate the power of gas. ;)
I remember having tons of time to take pictures when I was younger and wandering around travelling. Pictures and film cost money, took up space, etc. I think I never took more than ten rolls of film with me on a trip - ~360 pictures. Having the ability to take ten times that with no cost, no added weight and instant feedback...sure wish I could go back in time!
I remember taking a couple of rolls of pictures at Ostia Antica - great stuff, too. When I got the pictures back, I discovered that the camera's light meter was farpotshket. Two totally screwed rolls of overdeveloped pictures. AAAGGGGHHHH! Still hurts 25 years later.

I feel your pain brother. Lost a whole week in Rome once because my old 35mm was on the fritz. Didn't discover it until I returned These kids travelling overseas these days don't know how good they got it now with the toys available to them.
I remember studying in Spain in the early 90's and taking CASSETTE tapes with me for my tunes. What a beating and waste of space. I would have killed for my IPOD back then.
Cato wrote:

On the flip side, I've mentioned that I had film confiscated in Italy by the Carabinieri many moons ago. I eventually got the film back from the US consulate's efforts. If that had happened now, the Carabinieri would have just pulled the card and/or deleted the contents. Guess I'm just lucky!

That's why you keep a 'plant' flashcard stored in your sock.
I just know the multiple times I travelled Europe while in school I seemed to be burdened by a bunch of 'crap', and then I compare it to a trip to Italy last year with my new 'toys'. I felt light as a feather. ;-)
RicodJour wrote:

Wait, you didn't put in a factor for that camera ability to do multiple shots at 3fps.
--
Night_Seer