3D Design Architeture Software

Page 2 of 2

: John Silva wrote: : > Hi 3D Peruna, : > : > Well, I've tried 3D Home Architect Home Design Deluxe 6 a few days ago. The : > software itself is very good but the "walk trough" feature isn't. I need to : > move freely around the space, but I can't do it the way I want with the : > mouse. : > The kind of software I'm looking for would be as easy to use as 3D Home : > Architect but with a better "walk trough" feature. Is there such thing? : > : > Cheers, : : : Depends on the level of detail you're looking for. Quite frankly, I'd : steer you towards the game engines...like Doom or Quake. There are : development tools for those types of games that have great : "walk-through" capabilities and might be more what you're looking for. : The stuff geared towards the architecture market isn't where you want to : go...trust me.
That sounds so 'out of the mainstream' but that might be a good thing. Have you ever used gaming software to produce walkthroughs? It doesn't seem like that specialized of a thing would be available to the public not directly involved with the particular game. How do you find it? Thanks for the idea.

Actually, researched the idea in the late 90's for doing architectural visualizations. The goal was to "Playstation" them. Problem was the development package for the game systems of the time was into the 6 figures and out of budget (meaning cost more than free).
But games like Quake, Doom, etc. all had level designers that were free. We had some mock ups of existing buildings done. The problem at the time was the "realism" was generated by textures not by geometry.
Things may have progressed to make it worth a look again...they've come a long way in the last 10 years...
http://www.fileplanet.com/39158/30000/fileinfo/Quake3:-Arena-Editing-Tools -(Build-197) gives you what you need for Quake. If you're serious, buy the game, learn the tools...see what you can do.
i've been using sketchup for 1 year now. i am still impressed with what it does. i've used it for preliminary 3D designs with my customers, who cannot visualize what will take to their homes.

Cards
Hi Don,
There are a lot of "real" applications to mnemonics. I personally use it to pass exams in the university, remember speeches, essays, names and faces of people I've just met, set a "mental calendar", "mental notebook" and many other things... I was presented to the Memory Sports by a friend of mine who told me that it's making his student life so much easier. Then I tought: "Well! If it's working for this guy, it might work for me too!". Then here I am. My friend and his Memory Coach, Mark Channon from Memory School (www.memoryschool.com), are trying to develop this CAD Journey System. The only problem is that neither them nor me are architects or architecture students, we're just "memory guys" trying to make our life easier. If you're interested in Memory Sports take a look at Memory School forums. Mark and the guys would be glad to help you.
Cheers,
John Silva

- Kris M. Krieger

John Silva wrote:

learning
which
internal
is not

Could
this
being able

about
newbie.
There's no such thing as 'best' software. Different CAD program have different emphasis, and it all depends on how you use it. For what you're doing, there's isn't much a choice as far as low end CAD. Here's a brief list you can google:
Sketchup Autocad Quickcad (not sure if it has modeling) Turbocad (not sure if it has modeling) AutocadLT (not sure if it has modeling) Minicad (not sure if it has modeling) Arris Archicad Allplan 3dViz Chief Architect (maybe Minicad reborn)
Except for Sketchup the above programs are in the thousands of dollars range, take awhile to learn, but have a full compliment of drafting and modeling tools. If you're looking for just modeling, Sketchup has a timed fully operational demo; you should review their tutorials first before using the program, as some of the features are not apparent from the limited tool set available. Good program for quick modeling studies. Provides basic rendering as well. Tough to do detailed work though. The program is meant for study work, not for detailed modeling.
For detailed work, that takes time. It took me 3-4 hrs to properly model an ionic capital in Autocad once. To do an exterior office building, it took about a week, including site elements, then 2-3 weeks for rendering, color tweaking, and material selection. That included some of learning curve time as well (Autocad/Arris modeling with Lightscape, a defunct rendering and lighting program).
Marcello
Can you inform me about the difference between architectural software and regular 3D software? It seems to me that once you got the blueprint scanned in and extruded the walls and made sure the dimensions were accurate that unless you need a materials list or stress statistics or something engineering about which I am also ignorant, that a good 3D package for around $500 would work. I find Bryce to be great for landscaping.
: Hi all, : : I'm not an architect but due to professional reasons I had to start learning : some of the architecture basics. Now I need to use a 3D software which : allows me to create a building and walk around it, seeing all the internal : and external details. : : I've tried the 3D Home Architect Deluxe 6 but the "walk around" tool is not : working good for me, since the navigation is done with the mouse. Could : someone here please tell me what's the best software available for this : purpose? The me is being able to create any kind of building and being able : to walk all around it in 3D. : : I'd also ask you people to point some sites where I could learn more about : those 3D softwares and the architecture basics. I'm a complete newbie. : : Thanks in advance, : : John Silva : :
cat herder wrote:

Depends on what you want to do with the software...an issue insufficiently addressed in the question. If it's just make pretty pictures, then it's one thing. If it's developing a "building information model" then its another thing. If it's producing digital files that can then be sent to the fabricator, it might be another thing.
Which thing is it?

- Kris M. Krieger

you could export your 3d file into a SCOL world , scol is an open source technologie from cryonetworks ( rest in peace ) a french company
you could find and look some application on http://www.scolring.org and use the scol software ( it's free ) SCS available on http://www.scolring.org/SCS /
Kara member of scol technologies association
message de

John,
Try Sketchup.
http://www.sketchup.com
It's cheap and easy to use.
tb
John Silva wrote:

: John, : : Try Sketchup. : : http://www.sketchup.com : : It's cheap and easy to use. : : tb : : : John Silva wrote:
[snip] I downloaded Sketcher. That is some cool program and has a lot of intuitive, ie user friendly features. Thanks for posting.
John Silva wrote:

You're asking for something that doesn't exist. It takes quite some time to learn the "basics" and then it takes some time to learn the software.
Are you looking to create "pretty pictures" or "building information models?" They're related, but very different in how they're approached. And for either of them, you're looking at investing considerable time and money. The decent software starts at about $1K (and I don't think that stuff is all that good -- to get anything worthwhile for 3D work, look to spend at least $3K). And the learning curve is steep--because you're not only learning the software, but how to represent a building.
Lastly...as for "best" software. You're asking for a religious discussion. There are many programs out there. Those who use them all have their reasons for doing so and think that their software is the best for their purposes. The industry standard is based on Autodesk's AutoCAD products...but that doesn't mean they're the best, or what you should use (because you don't have a clue as to what you're getting into).
Why not just hire an architecture firm to do what you need to do?

Hey Ralph...
I already posted this once...why are you copying it verbatim?
3D Peruna > wrote:

Architects:
Those are well written posts, and I'd agree with what you say. You have observed a possible glitch.
I didn't write what was quoted - that isn't my style. Its too polished and modern. My writings are more scientific and creative, often with not so great conceptual grammar.
Why the post is there I have no explanation. A possible error of posting I would say.
Thanks for seeing the incongruity.
Ralph Hertle

Are you still looking?
You could potentially use a 3D modeling program (which is a bit different from a CAD program, and renders moer realistically) and then animate a camera object to do the walk-around, which is pretty easy to do.
How much detail do you need the building to have? If the detail required is low, you might be able to use VRML.
I use trueSpace, www.caligari.com, which is not at all as expensive as other 3D modelers. Ther are more pros'n'cons lists thatn you could shake a stick at, but in the end, tS is a good modeler and gives decent renders for a lot lower price than other 3D programs. 3D Studio Max gats a lot fo billing because it was pretty much the first, but it's very expensive and the plug-ins are also very expensive. Maya is very capable but it's geared mroe towards the film industry, from what I understand, and it is *bloody* expensive.
3D generally has a high learning curve, but tS users are very helpful to one another, so you can get a lot fo instruction via the forums and the mailing list (tho' rumors are that the latter is going to be discontinued). You're also welcome to email me with questions, and I'll help where I can (since I enjoy modeling buildings) and try to find answers where I can't.
HTH, email me if you have further questions.
- KMK

--
- Kris M. Krieger