Subject Author Posted Replies

Couldn't Resist
Most people agree that if you have to go, drowning in varnish provides the best finish. I re-found this gem in an old book, "Wise and Wacky Wit" and I couldn't resist sharing it with the group. John
3
3

How do I season 6" thick 400 year old white oak
I recently came into possesion of a slab of white oak about 6 feet in diameter, and 6" thick. I intend to someday use it to make a table. Could someone just give me some basics about how to season...
13
13

ouch!
Mercy, that shore did hurt a mite. Didn't knock the wind out of me but took it away if you know what I mean. Doubled over with my back now to the table saw trying to breath while I feel like someone...
6
6

sanding and varnish work
I'm looking for a reasonable sanding service and varvishers for the Miami are...Boat was taken to bare woog six monthe ago but beginning to show wear and sadly I don't have the time...I'd rather sail...

Checks in wood
Are checks in wood bad structurally? I don't mind that it has checks provided it doesn't harm the wood structurally. I'm planning on lining my horse stalls with this wood. Thoughts?
3
3

Source for Jacobs Power collet in UK?
This tool free router collet looks like just the job for saving time out on site (hanging FD60 fire doors for £17.50 a shot, plus £11.75 for the mortise latch so hinging and latching with the router...
3
3

Best glue for filler
I want to mix some sawdust with glue to fill a couple of chipouts in a project I am building. Any one have a suggestion as to the best glue to use so it will take stain and match the original wood. I...
4
4

Electric Upright Bass
Pictures are posted on Swamp ash body with bookmatched flame maple top. The neck is birdseye maple with a 1/4" walnut center stripe. Fingerboard and tailpiece are Macassar ebony. Finish is general...
1
1

Large crown moulding
I want to make cherry 3 1/2" crown moulding on my router table. However all bits I can find have effective length of 2 1/4". Is there way I can make that large moulding on router table, maybe using...
3
3

Fire hazards with oil finishes
Hi, I'm currently writing an article for a canadian woodworking magazine about fire hazards in a typical workshop. The article will discuss passive and active measures to take to avoid or extinguish...
36
36

DJ-20 for sale, CT
One of my wood dealers, a small cabinet shop, has upgraded to a bigger, spiral head jointer and is selling his DJ-20. It seems like a decent deal, so I thought I'd share it here. It looked in very...

Tip of the Day
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the clockwise direction for faster feed.
31
31

lazy susan bearing
Hi, I have been lurking for a while now, picking up lots of useful stuff whilst building a kitchen using Jim Tolpins book. I'm approaching the home straight now - after a three month diversion...
1
1

Model Woodworking - The best ! Planes- Ships-Subs-Iceboats:WWI to date
It's unique and it's all here. Ya gotta scroll thru the entire site ! Enjoy ! http://www.allwoodwings.com/3-WWI+WWII/SBD-3 http://www.allwoodwings.com/3-WWI+WWII/SBD-3,Dauntless-MasterSeries.htm102106

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch
But you can't "fail" them if they don't do the work. In truth, though, I had more than a few who picked up their basic concept of fractions a few years late in IA class. Little Physics and Chemistry,...
46
46