You know you're getting old when...

But - given the "grain" size and the digital dither....

Oh well, just a thought.

Reply to
George

[That's rec.photo.digital]

The 300D and D70 are not bad, around $1k plus lenses. A good deal if you already have Canon or Nikon lenses.

Also check out the Panasonic FZ10, for around $600. Quality will not match the SLRs, but it's not bad, and it's a big solid camera compared to most in it's price range (10x stabilized zoom, with manual focus ring). For more info see:

has an electronic viewfinder which you may or may not like (it's better than most EVFs), but in that price range the alternative is a non-TTL "optical tunnel". If you want optical TTL then you're back to the $1-2K range (and up).

[Having said all that, I decided not to buy the FZ10-- I want something that will fit in a large coat pocket, and the FZ10 won't. I'll probably end up with something like a used Canon G3.]
Reply to
Ron Bean

AH, but on rare occassions the shutter delay works in your favor (admittedly, rare). I was taking a picture of dad and my bird was perched on the arm of the couch. Well, apparently the camera sound scared the critter and he took off. The delay was just enough to get him midflight, wings caught mostly open in mid-flap. Turned out to be a rather cool shot.

OTOH, the sailboat that was nicely heeled over, viewed between the two buildings, in Monterray (Bee-u-tifully framed), mostly righted and made for a much less dramatic shot. Can't blame the digital on that one though. Me pulling out finagling with the dang SLR...

Renata

-snip-

Reply to
Renata