Yet another use for pushstick cats

Holy shit now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

There's more than humor to it.

Left Hong Kong on a Greek ocean liner back in the 60's and about three days out the menu read "Rabbit with rice pilaf" ... however, it was damn hard to fool a country boy who's family raised rabbits to eat, and who disected a cat or two in a comparative anatomy class in college.

Of course, I wasted no time in setting the record straight to the warm and fuzzies at my table who, seeing all those cats in cages in some of the markets, had been gushing about how much the Chinese were pet lovers.

I passed on the "rabbit" that day ... but had to swallow dog, out of courtesy, on more than one occasion .. another story entirely.

Reply to
Swingman

What coutesy, dog's good. People swear by the brown ones. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Wierd Al, now that guy knows how to write music. :-) There are some of his parodies I actually like better than the originals (Yoda, for example).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The brown ones, with curly tails, were especially sought after. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

Fill in stale joke here

wait for punchline:

What part of the dog did YOU get?????

Reply to
Victor Radin

Many years ago, in that "conflict in SE Asia", I was a young 1st LT artillery FO, and for 7 months, the sole American with an ARVN Ranger Battalion. Whenever this unit went out on operations, it was notable that there were always 20 or more curly tailed, Asian dogs 'tagging along' with the troops, even riding in helicopters and being "inserted" into operations areas along side us.

A casual observer from our part of the world would not have guessed that their sole purpose was indeed an elegant solution to a very real logistics problem - these dogs were in actuality a self-propelled food supply. One that needed no refrigeration in the hot humid jungle, and would follow you faithfully until ready to perform their function ... a real plus when you had to carry your own supplies through a terrain in which it was difficult to walk upright, even if you only averaged barely 5' tall.

Being the only American, an officer, and basically a representative of the US government to boot, I was often invited to eat with the CO of the unit, a Vietnamese Major, who was in effect, my boss. To refuse to partake of his hospitality would have been an insult of the highest degree. Therefore I was often required to swallow my "American food prejudices", along with other things.

Of course my friends always contend that being a coonass from S. Louisiana was big help in this regard.

... and with regard to "curly tails" ... if there was a straight tailed dog in all of Asia, I never saw it. We used to dream of straight tailed dogs and round eyed women.

So, now you have the "rest of the story". ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

Swing, Not only 'in country'.

I was stationed at Clark AB in the Philippines with TDY's into 'that' peninsula.

On arrival at Clark, everyone had to go through 'orientation' - married or single, with or without families. I really didn't pay much attention to the 'family affairs' portion, just barely remembered the emphasis placed on 'pets'.

Just outside the main gate was Angeles City. No 'sidewalks' as such, just the road, a foot or less wide strip of dirt, then a deep ditch on each side. If you did attempt to walk, you had to battle pigs, chickens, donkeys, and 'Jeepney' drivers swerving to avoid the caribou on the road. I had spent about a year in an electronic Tech School in Mississippi. Outside of the town, the area was very 'rural' and actually not much different from this environment. Yet there was something 'not quite right' . . . then it dawned . . . NO DOGS !!

At one point in my tour, I had the duty as 'Charge of Quarters'. A very upset 'dependent' called in one night . . . her St. Bernard had 'gone missing' from her compound. I said we would do what we could and tried to calm her down. However, When I hung up I said, "Her{Filipino}maid's family should eat good for about a week".

I mentioned this story to a college buddy, about 4 years later {I went on the GI Bill, and there was often 'more Month then Money'. It started a private running joke. He would often call out to me, " Hey, Ron. Just say a Great Dane, should 'dress out' to about 50 pounds". Or some such. Got me some VERY odd looks.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop ['round eyed' women - now THAT's another story !!]

"Swingman" wrote in > > > > > I passed on the "rabbit" that day ... but had to swallow dog, out of

We used to dream of . . . round eyed women.

Reply to
Ron Magen

-----snippage----------

You don't have to go too far from home to experience curious culinary preferences.. I lived in Hannibal, MO for ten years and frequented a fresh fish shop down town. You could usually view several raccoons, dressed out and ready too cook in the display case along side the fish. Also, if you visit he eastern shore of Maryland around Easton you might find a large sign on butcher shops advertising "We Have Muskrat!." Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

True story:

In the early 80's I worked for a newspaper in Vancouver's China Town. We were an english-language paper repackaging stories from the Hong Kong Standard (our parent paper).

My buddy and I did all the rewrite, layout, typestting, pasteup, etc.

A story came through about a protest in England over the market in dog in The Phillippines. Maggie Thatcher had called Marcos, big foofara.

The headline we put on the story when we ran it?

"Brits won't bow over puppy chow row"

;-)

djb

Reply to