WWI or Chopmaster for a RAS

I am using a Delta/Leitz 80T negative hook blade, and it doesn't cut well. Before that I used a Freud 60T positive hook blade; it cut well, but grabbed the wood.

I just got a WWII for my TS and love it; so I am looking at a Forrest blade for the RAS also. Forrest recommends both the WWI and the Chopmaster. Their website is vague at best. Any advice as to which is more useful? I use the saw 98% of the time for simple crosscuts on 4/4, if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Toller

I'm using the Chopmaster on my RAS and would say it is a great choice for crosscuts. I originally purchased the blade for my SCMS because I was so pleased with the WWII on my Shopsmith and I was not disappointed. Over at the DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Forum the consensus on the all around "best" blade has been the Forrest "Mr Sawdust" blade. This is not the WWI, but instead has a triple chip grind that is available only from the factory - not online or retail. Recently, however, many are reporting equally good (or better) results with the Freud LU83R, which is available at Amazon for less than half the price of the Forrest. Either of these two blades would be better than the Chopmaster for rip cuts, while still providing excellent crosscuts.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

What did Forrest suggest when you called them with that question?

Reply to
Leon

I sent them an email. It bounced because they "rejected sender's address".

Reply to
Toller

My Chopmaster (that i bought at IWF) just arrived, and I mounted it on my RAS and made some test cuts. Very nice. Cut is smooth as glass, no bottom chipout and, because of the negative hook angle, it is very controllable, doesn't want to climb or runout on me.

BTW it is what they recommended to me at IWF.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher