Workbench vises?

British "english" and its American cousin "plain english" are a mongrel lot, a line with heritage linked to so many other cultures and languages, some Teutonic, hence knight, laughter and daughter, the latter baffling since only one letter changes but the pronunciation is totally different.

If you want a dog that'll do one or two things very well, get a pure bred. If you want a dog that can get by quite well without you but hangs around because he likes you - get a mutt.

In a nation of "mutts", it was Webster and his dictionary that made "the melting pot" work. No common "terms" and "definitions" - no contracts/agreements. No contracts/agreements - no business and that leads to disagreements and conflicts - which sometimes leads to the exchange of "common words" and often fists.

Anyone want to try and explain the spelling and pronuncition of Sequoia - to a Dutchman?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

... or Cholmondeley to an American.

Reply to
Swingman

How about 'splaining "Worcester" to me?

Reply to
mttt

I could ... when I figure out how Refugio comes out like it does down here in Texas.

Reply to
Swingman

charlie b wrote in news:4075794E.2212 @accesscom.com:

Actually, it was a famous tree in the old Arboretum in Wageningen, when I was a kid some 55 years ago. It was spelled exactly like that on the little marker next to it. As an originally Latin-like name it was not difficult to pronounce at all (Linnaeus di much of his work at the then famous university of Harderwijk - long since gone to , not pot, but fishing).

Reply to
Han