Work pricing book

Good comparison. I recently met a young man who was adept at using an English wheel: he had built a sports car, with every body panel coming from his own hands. I didn't ask the price. My nerves will only take so much, but the fully-loaded Cobra engine might give a hint. You could probably get a Ferrari cheaper...or maybe not.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yes. Cherry. Walnut. Several kinds of ash. Several kinds of oak. Much tulip poplar. Hickory. Pecan. Apple. Magnolia. Actually, too many to name, really, and almost all of it in abundance.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The best advice that I got when I moved to Mexico (think new start) was to get into the mind set of "artist".. I still have a hard time doing it, but I sort of force it.. Everything in life is marketing, and "art" sells for much more than "hand made in my shop".. Another example of your salad bowl would be the 6" to 9" diameter bowls I sell... If they're "art" and will be displayed, they're worth up to $100 each... because someone loves it and wants it.. If they're going to eat their cereal out if it every morning, I might be able to sell it for the $10 - $15 that it cost me to make it..

I've also found that most people will pay more for "art" from an "expert" or "dealer" than they will from the artist... Might be because if the artist is out selling his stuff, they think "starving artist" or something?

I have a lady that sells some of my stuff for a commission and she can talk about the "highly skilled artist" all day... If I said that, they'd laugh...

I guess perception really DOES become reality? lol

on what the wood used is...

all my projects would/wood be done with >VERY exotic wood... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

because someone loves it and wants it..

Too true. I see work that goes for higher amounts than local turners/ artists can get simply because their bowls are turned by "Pennsylvania Craftsmen". Hey... what are we? Chopped liver?

to sell it for the $10 - $15 that it >cost me to make it..

Not counting your time of course.

about the "highly skilled >artist" all day... If I said that, they'd laugh...

Too true.

In the world of art, craftwork, or arts and crafts that certainly seems to be the truth.

But somehow I don't think I will be able to change the reality of the turnings I do for the cash. I cannot imagine anyone saying: "hey wait... is that a GENUINE lamp?"

Makes me laugh!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well, ya never know...

When I "sign" the pieces, I also burn in a number.. every piece that I think might be "art" is numbered and put in the computer.. when something sells, the DB prints a "Certificate of Authenticity" with the number and brief description of the piece and that it was "Hand crafted by Mac Davis of Baja Woodcraft".. Someday they might be worth big bucks, but as I tell my wife, I'm not ready to die to make them more valuable.. *lol*

It took a lot of suggestions from friends and some nagging by the wife before I could do these... just seemed very pompous and elitist... but I guess that's marketing for ya... ;-[