Woodworking Classes - PDX?

Lane Commuunity College down here in EUG has some weekend community education woodworking classes. That's a bit far to drive, but have you checked with the community colleges in the PDX area to see if they have similar offerings?

(For those not from around these parts: PDX = Portland, Oregon. EUG = Eugene, Oregon, about 120 miles south.)

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Howdy,

I tried posting this question a few days ago, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes difficult.

Any pointers in a general direction would be great.

Thanks

Reply to
opossum

Woodcraft in Tigard offers some weekend type classes, also Oregon College of Art and Craft offers all sorts of classes, I would say check OCAC first.

Reply to
angie.star

That is a cool store...

Reply to
Log

On 19 Jan 2005 17:03:36 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com spake:

Check with Steve at Knight Toolworks. His classes on planemaking are $450 a day and include instruction on visualizing wood grain, cutting wood, sanding, scraping, planing, chisel use, blade angles and sharpening, wood finishing, sweeping up, and long lunches.

(Hey, Steve, you should actually do something like this so we can do more with the site upgrade! Think it over.) ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll give basic woodworking class. I live in Shedd. Bring the beer and we'll see what we can cut off. Mike P.S. I live in Shedd not in a Shedd. That's between PDX & EUG

Reply to
Dust Boy

A frequent contributor (contrib. editor?) to Fine Woodworking magazine, furniture maker, Gary Rogowski offers a number of classes through his Portland, Northwest Woodworking School (I think is the name.) You should be able to google it up...

Ah, heck, I took my happy pills today so you're the lucky recipient of my feelings of well-being:

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Visit Woodcrafters in Portland on Davis, one block east of Grand Boulevard (forget the numbered street at the moment, sorry). They have brochures there for several classes in the Portland area as well as demos nearly every Saturday. Great store and friendly, helpful staff. You'll also enjoy the specialty woods. They have a good supply of books also.

I'm on my way to a 15-minutes-from-now appointment and don't have time to look up the location (dial-up) for you, but I think they also have a website.

Be interested in what you find out. I'm considering some myself, with some real woodworkers, not like the jerk that "taught" the class that argued with me that my sewing cabinet would never work because the top drawer (for scissors, tapes, pins, etc.) was too shallow and couldn't be useful. Aside from we were told to design something useful for ourselves, he just couldn't process that a 3-inch deep drawer was basically useless for things that were less than an inch tall! Oh, well.

Good luck.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

6th.

Also Rockler in Beaverton (Beaverton Town Square) and Woodcraft in Tigard. Woodcraft has more classes on a regular basis. As I have not taken any classes, I can't comment on their utility.

Oregon College of Arts and Crafts:

Rogowski's Northwest Woodworking Studio:

might also want to check out The Guild of Oregon Woodworkers:

check out community college offerings, both the credit and non- credit classes.

Clubs are good source for informal training and perhaps finding a mentor.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Howdy,

Thanks for all of the wonderful information and links. This will certainally get me started.

I have friends that live in Eug and often make the trip, but you are correct thsi is a long way to travel on a regular basis for a noob like me.

Reply to
opossum

Reply to
Bob Bowles