Woodworking at another level

Want to see some of the very best woodworking on a different level ???

Check this out:

hat is off to this guy...

Please make note of the material.

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Pat Barber" wrote

Damn, time to try something else ... how much does it cost in time/equipment/learning curve to switch to needlepoint, or crocheting?

Reply to
Swingman

After I looked at that, I wanted to hand in my brad gun.

I couldn't even "th>

Reply to
Pat Barber

Goes to show ya that it all boils down to a man and his tools. Skill and imagination can perform wonders, even on a tight budget. Reminds me of that old Stewart Brand Principle, "Never confuse a lack of funds for a lack of resources".

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There were some dead-give-aways in those pictures...but I couldn't find them! I love obsessed people.

RicodJour

Very nice work. I was thinking that it looked a little too good for even a factory finish many years back.

IIRC Keith did something very much like this.

Reply to
Leon

Apparently even crocheting can be expensive

Allen Roy

here is the right link

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

Nice bit of pattern making. He should have sent to them a foundry.

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Swingman" wrote in news:uuOdndYz6J0xdm7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Menards has had their Performax mini-lathe on sale for around $100 recently... A couple knitting needles should be easy to turn. (A crochet hook still isn't complicated, except for the hook at the end...)

Not sure about the yarn...but it sounds like I'm spinning some. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeppp.. the infamous router table deluxe.

I can't find my links to those pictures, but he did some similar type engineering using good old MDF.

Le> Very nice work. I was thinking that it looked a little too good for even a

Reply to
Pat Barber

You could do that.

MDF is insanely easy to finish with paint.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Granted...(I'm a awful finishing guy.. but I'm learning)

The ideas this guy came up with are beyond my normal scope of operations. I was wondering if the finishing bubba's were taking a look at those pictures....

I guess the reason I posted that link was the whining I see here about how terrible mdf is and how it can not be used for any "real" woodworking.

I have seen some unbelievable projects done with MDF. This was just another one.

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

The idea _is_ fantastic. I didn't mean to downplay the overall finished project, I really like it, and it shows great effort.

It's the time and effort he put into the finish that makes it special, the actual techniques aren't difficult at all, they just require persistence.

The beauty of a painted finish on MDF from a novice's standpoint is that practice material is really cheap, and it can all be done with cheap tools, easy to find materials, like Bondo, auto body primer, sanding blocks and spray cans!

I agree.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Pat Barber

I agree, the finish "is" the project. Without that fantastic paint job, it would be neat, but "with" a little paint and sanding, "wow" is the only thing that comes to mind.

I hope it inspires more people to look at finishing at all levels. It certainly did it for me.

I have a few of those "just mdf" cabinets I use for tool storage and they would sure make a good candidate for this type of finish.

Maybe you can give some pointers on how to proceed with paint on mdf ???

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

My favorite is a spraying of BIN or auto body primer, followed by Bondo on the edges. Once I've used coarser grits of sandpaper, files, etc... to smooth the Bondo, I sand the whole thing to 220, 320 or 400. I spray it again, and sand again w/ 400. By that time, the part is usually ready for a spray of enamel or lacquer. If not, I do one more spraying of primer followed by 400 grit.

When applying the primer, you'll want to sand most of it off, except for the final primering (with the 400 rub).

Once you're in the color coats, you can sand with 600-800 and recoat.

Grab some stuff and play, you'll like it!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Ok ... that sounds good but what about the crowd that hasn't got to spraying yet ???

Is it possible with a brush or rollers ???

Why the b> My favorite is a spraying of BIN or auto body primer, followed by Bondo

Reply to
Pat Barber

I forgot to ask:

Is this where a "Critter" might make a show>

Reply to
Pat Barber