Woodsmith Magazine Collection - what's it worth?

I have the entire Woodsmith collection, every issue and even duplicates.

I started the collection a few years ago when I thought I would get into woodworking, however, due to health/space/time reasons I have focused my energies into a different hobby.

I will probably be selling off the collection, but am wondering what it is worth. I know that more and more issues are no longer available from Woodsmith themselves, so I would expect it to be pretty valuable.

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

Well, I can't put a monetary value on it, but it's probably worth a lot less than you think.

Recently, many woodworking magazines, including Woodsmith and Shop Notes, have been appearing on p2p, bittorrent, irc and flood sites.

Reply to
Gus

I think you're right. I've seen back issues going for $30 and up at a local flea market. Don't let the go cheap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, you could try to determine which issues are out of print and price those for sell on E-Bay or elsewhere. Ever so often our local WoodCraft has a "flea-type" market where people can bring in items to sell individually. You might want to check there if you have one nearby.

The final one is that I know in the traveling woodworker shows there's a company that sells magazines, books, etc. They might be interested in buying up your entire collection.

But I would first figure out what other's are buying and spending. I mean the first couple of volumes might be

60% of the total value. The last couple of years might be worth only $3/5 per issue at best.

Good luck.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

If you put them on ebay, I think you'd be better off breaking them into groups (say a years worth) than the entire collection, but I'm not an expert. I say that because people like me that already have a decent collection would devalue the copies in your collection that they already have. In any event, if you ebay them, post it here. I might bid on them.

Reply to
bf

I paid $10 for about a 10 year supply, as I recall. It might have been less, since the box had a few books in it too.

It's tough to say that a thing printed by the many many thousands, with lots of obsolete stuff in it, gets MORE valuable than face price in the short term (short term = less than 50-100 years). When it's printed in the hundreds of thousands or overlaps stuff found in every other woodoworking publication, I'd wonder in general what the point was. Each issue stands alone, generally, so it's not like buying back issues of a TV series that had plots or characters which developed over time. Magazines repeat themselves.

I would probably pay more for a DVD of the entire history of the magazine but I don't think these publishers have really left the mid-20th century yet.

Every since Beanie Babies, the whole country has artifically pumped itself up to think of many mass production articles as collectible. You need a lot of dummies to make it true even short term. Try Ebay, that's the HQ for this type of thing.

BIOSM> I have the entire Woodsmith collection, every issue and even duplicates. >

Reply to
remod2006

So check Ebay. Most of the offers iddn't sell at $5/year!

One 44-magazine load went for $45. A few issues here and there get more or less. There's the usual shipping and handling gouge to make up the apparent low prices of some issues.

Edw> > worth. I know that more and more issues are no longer available from > > Woodsmith

Reply to
remod2006

Don't forget, if the price is too low on EBay, there is another way to recoup some of your money (not a lot, but just some.)

If your local Library branch does not have Woodsmith Magazine, you might be able to donate the set there. You ask for a signed donation slip, take at least 75% of retail value on the donation value. Many people will be able to take the Tax deduction. Remember, a tax deduction is just a reduction in your taxable income, so if you effective tax rate is say 15%, you will only actually recoup 15% of that 75%.

Donation to a Library has other benefits besides just the money.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

Woodsmith sells back issues from Vol 22 through 26 in hardbound annual volumes on their website. They sell for about $30 per vol or about $120 for the 5 volumes --- about $4 per magazine.

Reply to
garbonzo

I'd give you $20 for them. But there might be someone who'd pay a whole lot more. I let my subscription lapse because they started repeating themselves in less than two years, and I can't imagine that isn't compounded in the complete collection. I'd pay $20 each for the Woodsmith books, though- they've been pretty handy on a couple of occasions.

Might be worth more if they're all in the binders they sell.

Reply to
Prometheus

What "different hobby"?

I'm curious as to what other hobbies might exist? Besides BBQ (eh, Edwin?).

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Last Saturday one of the members brought in a box of them. Probably 70 issues or so for all the rest of us to pick through and take home. Price? Free. I think most of us never get rid of our magazines, just trade them back and forth at the monthly meetings.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I suppose it's possible that someone out there collects Woodsmith, but like it's sister publication Shop Notes, if you've seen about 10 or 12 issues, you've about seen them all.

Reply to
lwasserm

Reply to
Dhakala

I would be interested to buy. How many issues, condition, slip covers, approx weight, your zip code to fiqure shipping 877-769-8885

Reply to
henry