Hanging it up! Downsizing!

I am 78 years old. My wife and I are downsizing and moving into an assisted living community. I have sold most of my tools but I still have something that I don't want to get rid of, but I must. I have a collection of do-it-yourself magazines. They are Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Mechanics Illustrated, Handyman etc. They take up 22 feet of shelf space and there are 756 of them. The oldest is a 1941 Popular Mechanics that my Dad bought me when I was 12 Years old. From then on I was hooked. Many were issued during the war years of WWII. I quit buying them in the early 80's when they quit publishing in a how-to-do-it format and published in a magazine format. I have indexed many of the projects. For example there are

20 issues that have how-to- build boat plans. I would like to get 20 cents per copy, or best offer. The whole lot must go. These books are far too heavy and costly to ship. I live about 30 minutes from the Morgantown Exit on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. About 30 miles west of Philadelphia. Anyone interested can e-mail me for more information. I know that you don't want folks using this group to sell things but I hope you will forgive me. I have an attachment to them and just can't destroy them. Getting old sucks!!

Clint Stoner snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net I plan to also place this on the woodworking group.

Reply to
Clint

On 6/22/2008 10:58 AM Clint spake thus:

[...]

We usually don't like that kind of stuff, but I think an exception could easily be made in your case. Too bad they're probably not "worth much", and good luck disposing of them; hope someone who can use them gets them.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Who are "we"? There is no "we".

Reply to
G. Morgan

Try posting on Craigslist. Maybe a library at a trade school will have an interest in accepting them as a donation. Check Ebay to see if there is a market for them.

Reply to
John Grabowski

On 6/22/2008 3:09 PM G. Morgan spake thus:

There is a "royal 'we'", which I was using here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If it makes you feel any better my mother moved to assisted living 4 months ago and loves it. I do think it is harder on men since mostly women are there.

Reply to
Art

Damn! Why couldn't you live in Texas? I would gladly drive anywhere in Tx to go buy them from you. Popular Science was by far my favorite, and Gus Wilson and the Model Garage was my favorite part of them. I think I know every one by heart. Actually, how much would it cost to ship the P/S's to San Antonio? I would definitey be interested, and willing to spend a pretty good chunk of money for them. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:13:02p, David Nebenzahl told us...

QE2?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Q.E.D.

Reply to
KLS

They were all great magazines in their glory days, especially the 50s to early

60s. Lots of projects and columns in a time where a man didn't have to ask how to cut a board....
Reply to
Rick

If you send them as Bound Printed Matter, aka Book Rate, the cost wouldn't be bad at all.

RicodJour

Any chance the local library or clubhouse at new location would take them? That would mean a donation, but might keep them close by. Used book store might be interested, as well. Some old advertisements, just one page of old mags, bring good money.

When I was a child, our neighbor was a commercial artist. Another neighbor, an older gentleman, posed along with my dad and little brother for a Firestone ad. It was printed and I have seen it for sale.

Of course, if you chose to keep them, there are storage choices that hide a multitude of sins. A round piece of plywood, along with a round tablecloth, makes a nice table for hiding "stuff". Our condo has no garage, so hubby's tools have taken up residence in interesting places. Have a nice wicker trunk in the living room - doubles as a table and for storing his huge monkey wrenches and pry bars :o) My tools are in plastic trunks under bed in guest room :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I hate to rain on your parade but you will probably discover that your collection is virtually worthless. I speak from experience...

My late uncle died, leaving the bulk of his estate to his nieces and nephews, including me.

In addition to the cash, he bequeathed 30,000 hard-bound books to us. This wonderful man was not merely a bibliophile, he was a "bibliomaniac". Not only did he never meet a book he didn't like, he never "met" a book that he did BUY.

Wishing to dispose of this collection in one, fell swoop, we became very familiar with the book selling industry including "insider" trade magazines and the like.

The most important thing we learned was that, with VERY rare exception, old books (and magazines) are worthless.

We sold the lot for 10-cents/book to a bookstore owner whose shop had been destroyed by fire. The buyer was simply looking for "filler" for the shelves of a new shop.

It is indeed disheartening to discover that that which you have treasured and kept for years is only valuable to you.

Even more depressing is that they will probably go to a landfill.

There was perhaps a semi-load of old newspapers in Uncle Bob's basement, carefully stacked to the joists. The local newsprint recycling business would not take them unless they were bundled and set on the curb.

They went to the landfill.

Good luck and congratulations (I mean it) on your brave decision to move into assisted living. Your remaining years will probably be MUCH less stressful. By making the move, you are also probably reducing the stress level of those loved ones that care about your well being.

Walk away from your coveted collection with a clear conscience. If you manage to move them to a "loving home", regardless of any real sale, you are WAY ahead of the game. Good luck. Live long and prosper.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Maybe email google and see if they are interested in scanning them.

Reply to
Art

Clint, in addition to Craiglist which another poster mentioned there's also Local Sales Network

that's good for items that aren't practical to ship.

Reply to
Dennis M

I forgot to mention

as a way to get rid of stuff that is too good to throw out.

Reply to
John Grabowski