Wood Plane Restoration

I've done a good bit of reading on opinions on restoration. At this point I am taking the approach of trying to improve the condition of the tool without destroying its history. The challenge seems to be distinguishing between its history of use and its history of neglect.

I have several transition planes that are severely rusted. Likewise the blades. Some have markings, some do not. Thus far it appears that my choices are some combination of phosphoric acid, electrolysis, and abrasives. Then there is the question of (re)japanning - to do or not to do.

I am a neophyte at this. Comments are very welcome.

Bill B.

Reply to
Bill Braun