Boule table restoration in Ontario

Does anyone know of a shop which will restore a "boule" table, preferably in Southern Ontario?

I'm not immediately sure of the table's exact history, other than that it would be worthwhile to have it restored. It's not in terrible condition. The brass inlay is coming up in some places and the tortoiseshell is coming off as well.

The furniture appraiser said it would be impossible to send the table back to France to have it done as the table contains tortoiseshell which is illegal to ship across international boarders. I can't believe it would be impossible to get this type of work done in Canada.

So, any recommendations?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

| illegal to ship across international boarders. I can't believe it = would be=20 | impossible to get this type of work done in Canada. |=20 | So, any recommendations? |=20 | Regards, |=20 | Robin=20 |=20 |=20

"Furniture Appraisers" are not "Furniture Restorers".

Look up a good (reputable) antique conservator (restoration person).

BTB: If this table is not an antique, chances are the tortoise never = lost its shell.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll just take a look through the yellowpages or something.

The appraiser was from Waddington's and he said it was tortoiseshell. I'm foggy on the history but it's from within my family and I'm almost certain it is an antique.

But you're right. Who knows what's what. Perhaps the restorer will have a better idea...

Thanks again.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Repairing Boule pieces is so difficult not many will even tackle it .When you do find a restorer it will will either someone who will do it as a labor of love or a professional shop that will charge a fortune .

The reason being the brasses have to be flattened refitted and reglued down [and stay down ,no mean feat] and refinished . In my experience the wood and the brass respond differently to heat and over the years this causes the piece to come apart .There is absolutely nothing more frustrating than to have spent many hours restoring a piece and having the lady of the house snag a piece of brass with a duster when cleaning.....

Reply to
mike hide

He's likely wrong. If the age of the table can be documented and it was made prior to any CITES conventions, you can do the red tape that will allow it to be shipped to France and back. The restrictions are only on new or undocumented materials made from endangered species.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

It all depends on the level of restoration needed. Boule work with an inlay that's lifting is OK. An inlay that _has_lifted_ is quite another matter - as you say, any distortion to the flatness of the brass is a royal pain to sort out. And finding somewhere that can competently replace a missing piece is quite another story.

You can ship tortoiseshell furniture internationally, but it does need CITES paperwork doing beforehand (otherwise you might well send it, but not be able to retrieve it!). Anyone competent to ship it without crushing it should be able to sort this for you. For obvious antique completed pieces it's not too hard - much easier than importing a turtleshell, even an old one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mike, Mike and Andy,

Thanks for the info about the difficulty of restoration and the import export restrictions.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to go through the expense and hassle of having the table restored (either here or France or whatever) but with these ideas in mind, at least I have an understanding of what I'm getting in to.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

this guy is one of the top in north america. he'll have an idea:

Patrick Edwards

3815 Utah St., San Diego, CA, 92104.
Reply to
bridger