Wood expansion question

I'm building a coffee table for my mom. The top is five pieces of maple and two walnut edge glued together to a width of 25". The walnut pieces are on the outside and I want to complete the border with two pieces of walnut on the ends. I'm wondering if I can get away with gluing the end pieces on, or if cross-grain expansion will cause eventual failure. The pieces will have a tongue and groove joint. An alternative to gluing would be to use brass pins to attach the end pieces. This would be more decorative, but not as strong. Does anyone think I can get away with gluing if I seal the wood really, really well?

Reply to
Hax Planks

Not I.

Breadboard, and remember, they'll match the width only when the top is at the same MC as when it was built.

Fixed center, float both sides.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Phisherman

Waste of nice timber, by the sound of things.

Take some of your timbe rbudget and buy copies of Tage Frid and Hoadley. Read the sections on wood movement, nd how to deal with it, There are also some very good FWW back issues on how to do breadboard ends.

You need to read up on this stuff before you go further. It's going to breal otherwise.

Reply to
Andy Dingley