will we see a glut of tropical hardwood soon

china is to begin on the canal through nicaragua in nov/dec in doing so they will clear 400,000 hectares of different types of land forest wetlands etc.

that means a lot of tropical hardwood will be coming available

the company building the canal has claimed the timber but i wonder if it will all go back to china first or will they ship all over from there

Reply to
Electric Comet

When the plans were made, China counted on getting and processing all of the wood. China NEVER sells raw materials when there is either a shortage of them, or a chance to make more money by processing them.

With the upset in the Chinese econmy - anything is possible.

Reply to
clare

So Costa Rica will now be an island...

Reply to
Jim

they have claimed all the timber and anything remaining will be left for the people for firewood

from what you say it sounds like it will go back to china and will probably show up here as cheap products the env impact report is 2.75 million words in 14 volumes and 11000 pages

i read the executive summary

Reply to
Electric Comet

That's what they want. One of my sisters and her husband retired there recently.

One thing about Costa Rica, their border is closed and you must have a provable source of income to move there, no exceptions.

Reply to
Swingman

and lake nicaragua will be pretty much destroyed by invasive species

cannot be good for the region to have such a large body of fresh water to be destroyed be careful what you wish for i guess

Reply to
Electric Comet

Too bad we don't do the same here. All of it is exceptions here.

What no job, no problem. No papers.. no problem.

BTW want medical , insurance, retirement, and a weekly stipend. No problemo.

Reply to
woodchucker

Ditto many countries (provable income). The US is an exception of course. To both. :(

Reply to
dadiOH

It is already hooked to the Caribbean via Rio San Juan. That's why Lake Nicaragua has sharks. Tarpon and sawfish too, probably others.

Reply to
dadiOH