why plywood

I would like to know why a person would take their time to make fine fretwork pieces and cut them out of plywood. I know it's cheaper but you still have the same amount of time involved so why not use quality wood

Reply to
DAN & CINDY

They might wish to paint them instead of applying a natural/stain finish etc.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

SawEyes

Well, I have used 1/8" Baltic Birch in the past, because it is very stabile, cuts well and cleanly, and, takes stain or paint nicely. It has been my experience that sometimes solid wood does not work well for that sort of thing, unless it is very fine grained, or the piece being sawed is fairly thick (1/4" or more). Unsupported grain is quite weak, leading to scrolls breaking off, etc. Thanks to the construction of plywood, though, this does not happen. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

no short grain cuts. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
Jim K

I use some ply, but not much. It gets used in drawer bottoms, panels, furniture backs, and numerous shop jigs. Very stable and flat, unlike solid wood. There is cheap ply and quality (furniture grade) ply.

Reply to
Phisherman

my local hardwood store has 22" - 30" by 10' - 14' stock in 1 - 3 species most of the time. I have some 18" flat sawn white oak that was not the widest board in the "regular" pile from my main supplier.

that said, I would use plywood for scroll work to avoid the short grain problem if it was going to be a free standing piece. If it is going to be mounted on a finished article where the entire surface is supported then solid wood is fine.

BRuce

Jim K wrote:

Reply to
BRuce