Which table saw to buy?

opposite of yours...

That's too bad.

Reply to
Rumpty

Hi Gerry, I've got a Delta contractor saw that I'm happy with (36-650C - it's a Canadian Version with cast wings and a lifetime warranty). It was $700 CDN. I had looked for a decent used cabinet saw but couldn't find anything in my area. I would have considered the Grizzly cabinet saw as well but being a Canadian it's a pain to get one and if I ever needed it serviced or had to bring it back it would be a big hassle. That being said, right now, I would lean towards a cabinet saw simply because of the better and easier dust collection. One other thing, the Generals are very popular up here, being a Canadian outfit, but the biggest knock on their equipment is the manuals are total garbage. Apparently they are working on this and I think some of their newer machines already have better manuals. I have a GI jointer and the assembly instructions are a joke.

---BeerBoy

Reply to
BeerBoy

Bob,

Maybe with some caveats I'd agree with Rumpty. The 7790 is a great machine in knowledgeable, experienced hands. It takes more configuring than some TSs but will not outperform *ALL* TSs (Felder and Altendorf will disagree for sure). It may outperform all contractor saws at an equivalent price range, low end cabinet saws can also be junky.

The main issues with RASs generally are the setup, maintenance and some safety issues (from my reading anyway), not the quality or inherent useability when correctly configured and used.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

safety issues (from my reading anyway), not the quality or inherent usability when correctly configured and used.

Greg,

That can also be said about the table saw. Once set up with a decent table a DeWalt will perform for years without any additional setup. They'll do some things a TS can't and they out perform a TS as a shaper or moulder and are very precise.

The only thing I haven't found a way to do is multiple dado crosscuts in a wide sheet of plywood as you can do on the TS, but that can be easily replaced with biscuits for hanging a drawer support.

Reply to
Rumpty

Dad has a Craftsman RAS ('70's vintage). When it's well-tuned, there's nothing I like better for crosscutting and short dados.

When it's time to rip, I even like my Delta benchtop better.

But regardless, I've not seen any RASs available nowadays within my saw budget that I'd look twice at.

OTOH, if I win the lottery, that Delta 14" looks pretty good.

Reply to
Charles Krug