When mahogany just isn't expensive enough

$5 / oz. (for campfire lighting)

It's not a bad idea though. My flint and steel pouch contains a mixture of resinous larch shavings and tumble drier cotton lint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

wax paper dixie cups half filled with planer shavings drizzled with parrafin wax does the same thing...

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Mebbe so, but it doesn't come in a nifty Altoids tin. ;)

RicodJour

Can you really light those with a flint and steel?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I always used a rolled up newspapers tied off and cut at 3" and dipped in parafin wax. I use them to teach kids that it *is* possible to start a fire in the rain.

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

Gulf Lite charcoal lighting fluid works for me.

Reply to
Leon

When I was in Boy Scouts if the wood was wet or it was raining hard a sacrifical Sterno at the base of the pile really helped get the campfire going so we could make our usual camping dinner of hot dogs and instant chocolate pudding. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Andy,

Try making some char cloth out of Monk's Cloth. You'll never mess with the dryer lint again. It will burn you if you try to put it out with your fingers unless your callus is about a quarter inch thick.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy