What type of lacquer for spraying?

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

Andy Arhelger

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

it? Menards has a

thicker and would

You will likely need to thin any lacquer you buy Andy. I've never shot a lacquer - or a urethane, that didn't require reducing.

As for what you should chose - you don't give enough information. Post a link to the web page that has the 6 lacquers you're looking at as well as details about your clock. What type of wood? Are you shooting on shellac first? Stain?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Menards has a

thicker and would

What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.

Reply to
LP

I use H. Behlen or Mohawk Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

Ask at a good local paint store, as Parks is another fine brand, and it's often sold in paint stores.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first foray into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it

50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start playing with my new gun in the next day or so.

For the OP, as for Sherwin-Williams, if you were going to go that direction, they make a pre-cat lacquer that you can get in 4 different gloss levels, IIRC. I also seem to remember them recommending their vinyl sealer as a first coat.

todd

Reply to
todd

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to get them to answer their phone.

As for thinning: I'm using an Accuspray turbine driven HVLP gun. Most waterborne lacquers, even tho they appear thick, spray fine right out of the can. I dont remember the exact number but I think Target recommends adding a maximum of 10-20% water if thinning is necessary. They also have a "flow out additive", which thins the product and retards drying somewhat.

Thinning to 50% sounds like the older nitrocellulose lacquers shot thru a high pressure gun. 50% with the waterborne finishes would be way too much.

You didnt say what type of gun, however: I have no actual experience with waterborne products and high pressure guns, but if I had to do it that way, I'd start with the finish at full strength and add water until it sprayed properly. You might also need to go to a larger tip. A few minutes experimentation should get you in the ball park.

Reply to
LP

I've called three times and gotten an answer three times.

Thanks for the info. I've just started reading and haven't even gotten to the Target instructions yet.

I have a Walcom Slim-S, which is a compressor-fed HVLP.

I expect it will take me a bit of experimentation to dial it in. Thanks again.

todd

Reply to
todd

I have always had great luck with Homestead and think that Jeff is the most knowledgeable person I have ever met concerning finishing. He is a great resource.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

That was a part of the reason I purchased the gun from him. I'm sure many, if not most, of those here know who you're referring to, but for those who don't, Frank is referring to Jeff Jewitt. Jeff is the author of several books on the topic of finishing. I have his book _Hand Applied Finishes_.

todd

Reply to
todd

Thanks for the pointer.

I bought this stuff and have > >

Menards has a

thicker and would

for spraying

6 different
Reply to
Andy Arhelger

coat goes

Menards has a

thicker and would

for spraying

6 different

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I don't know of anyone who's ever had anything bad to say about Target's lacquer.

As you get more into it, they have several other products that you will find to be equally impressive.

Reply to
LP

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice. Trouble is I couldn't find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up paying a lot for shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after spraying. I don't think it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed. I believe there was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe the surface with my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault, but I am not sure how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I an not sure why.

LP wrote:

dried nice, no

Next coat goes

Menards has a

thicker and would

for spraying

have 6 different

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

I couldn't

don't think

am not sure

What are you using to spray with? That dust/mist in the air is very uncharacteristic of HVLP so I'm guessing you're using either high pressure or a high pressure conversion gun?

Reply to
LP

I have got to try that stuff...

Do you know who distributes it, so I can ask my local guys to get me some?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Off the top of my head Homestead Finishinging is another seller. If you go to

they have a rather short distributors list.

I've always just dealt direct with Target. They use FEDEX which is quite quick, and if FEDEX bends up your can Target will replace it instantly no questions asked.

Reply to
LP

Thanks!

It looks like it's direct to Target or Homestead.

My local guys can often get many niche finishing products via large wholesalers, which saves me money (often on shipping AND product), and gives them a new item to stock. It dosen't look like Target deals with any of the wholesalers I recognize. If they did, the locals can often get a minimal quantity combined with a large order, which is in turn shipped LTL truck, which is where the savings kicks in.

When it works, it's great to have good local retailer relationships. I've been known to learn of a product here, or in one of the better woodworking rags, suggest it to them, school them on the basic uses and benefits of the product, and before you know it, other locals are using and loving it. I actually did this a few years back with Seal Coat, and nowadays, it's not unusual for the guys to toss me a free can.

Reply to
Ba r r y

is I couldn't

I don't think

believe there

surface with

am not sure

I am using an HVLP gun.

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

is I couldn't

I don't think

believe there

surface with

I am not sure

Hmmm...since I dont know your shop I'm not sure what advice I might offer here. when I said "That dust/mist in the air is very uncharacteristic of HVLP" that wasnt entirely true as there will be some amount, its just usually not much of a problem. What comes to mind is that you need to somehow move the air in your spraying area. Perhaps with an overhead air filter, or a simple floor fan (on low). If you persevere you'll find ways to solve this and other problems and, in the end, I think you'll be very happy with your finishes.

Reply to
LP

Trouble is I couldn't

spraying. I don't think

I believe there

the surface with

but I am not sure

an not sure why.

How big is your spray area Andy? If you are working in too small of an area you will end up with a fog in the room and it will settle on your workpiece. Even HVLP puts overspray into the room. A lot of people think HVLP means no overspray but in reality it's usually more like 20%-30% less overspray than a conventional gun, but still a factor to contend with. For smaller pieces - even the size of normal furniture, that overspray may not be a big problem, but for bigger things the overspray becomes quite noticeable. That's why respirators are still required even for HVLP. If the stuff wasn't in the air, you wouldn't need a respirator.

The nice part about lacquer is that you can buff it out and get rid of that stuff. If your spray technique was good to start with and you have a nice even coat on the piece, you can take a little rubbing compound and buff that dust right out of the finish and back to a nice even, shiny finish.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My spray area is about 9x11. I have an exhaust fan (not super powerful) and a window this is opened a bit. I am happy with the finish and was able to buff out (or simply wipe off) the overspray. I was spraying a number of larger pieces so maybe the volume of the workspace just wasn't large enough. And fan blowing out the window might help. I will try to fine tune the procedure. I have a picture of the finished product I should post.

Andy Arhelger

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
Andy Arhelger