What to use in a plane wick

Hello,

I am making a plane wick to butter up the soles during use. Besides butter (heh) what makes the best lubricant SPECIFICALLY for a plane wick, ie., it wont dry out. I have heard of some using mineral oil (baby oil) and some using liquid parafin. Does liquid parafin dry out? Does it contain any solvents or other nasty finish-wrecking stuff? It seems like it would be the best choice all else being equal for its rust preventing properties. Experience? Ideas? Random thoughts?

Bob the Less

Reply to
Bob

. Experience? Ideas? Random thoughts?

I keep a chunk of parafin wax at my bench, just scribble a little "S" on the sole of any hand plane I'm using, as needed to keep the friction to a minimum....works wonders when you're making those shavings of a thou or so....

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

I always thought "liquid paraffin" was the UK name for what we in the US call "mineral oil".

See "Synonyms" at:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Kerosene, IIRC. I remember reading a particular book as a kid--the hero was at sea in a small boat, in a storm, at night. The engine wouldn't start, even though he had put enough paraffin in it. "No wonder it won't run," I thought, "he clogged it up with wax!" I had also wondered why his torch didn't go out in the rain. There were divers calling in the distance. "Why doesn't he ask one of those scuba guys for help?"

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Nope. Kerosene.

Reply to
CW

Liquid paraffin to us is a fairly viscous liquid which can be used as a body rub (add some peppermint oil) the same as baby oil with no additives.

Your kerosene is our paraffin which is used as a fuel for stoves and heating. Would not want to use that as a body rub (unless as maybe as a marinade for a sacrifice )

Reply to
Phil Hansen