what saw do you use in this situation

Greetings. My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of her counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some such thing.) There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the lower cuboard. OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush. Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk.. the plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2 inches to the end. I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close enough. Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the wall how do I cut thru that.

-- "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

-Albert Einstein

Reply to
Jack_O

Hiya

I go real slow with a Sawzall and a metal blade. I free hand it with slow speed and great care. Do NOT let the blade pullback out of the kerf...which means you're going into the wall a little bit.

Reply to
Robatoy

See if you can slip a piece of thin sheet metal between the back of the counter and the wall, to protect the wall from the fine-toothed crosscut handsaw that you will use to finish out the cut.

HTH

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago. Sure has come in handy for getting nice cuts in tight spaces. Has almost replaced my flush cut hand saw. Check it out, may be just what you need-

--dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Reply to
Newshound

I hadn't seen the flush cutting jigsaw blade before. If that actually works...

Sticking to what I actually own, I would try a cutting disk on an angle grinder or a Fein with a saw on it.

Reply to
Toller

Handsaw?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and rent a countertop cutoff tool. Get the one with a backsplash attachment. Rental is about $3.00 per day with a $10 deposit. Just plug it in, position it on the counter where you want it cut and hit the button. It's a wonderous tool and cuts it perfectly every time. But it has to be a fresh cut. If you've already started the cut with a jigsaw or something it won't work.

Reply to
Joe Barta

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:31:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave Jackson" quickly quoth:

I got their 9-1/2" version for $26 delivered via the FWW ad. It'll cut a tubafore in half more quicly than a freshly sharpened Disston and only use about 1/3 the effort in doing so! They're simply amazing.

want the hardwood version next.
is by far the best saw I've ever owned, and it's one of the cheaper varieties that they sell at

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:31:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave : Jackson" quickly quoth: : : >I picked up one of these a couple of months ago. Sure has come in handy for : >getting nice cuts in tight spaces. Has almost replaced my flush cut hand : >saw. Check it out, may be just what you need- : >

> --dave : : I got their 9-1/2" version for $26 delivered via the FWW ad. It'll cut : a tubafore in half more quicly than a freshly sharpened Disston and : only use about 1/3 the effort in doing so! They're simply amazing. :
I want the hardwood version next. :
This is by far the best saw I've ever owned, and it's one of the : cheaper varieties that they sell at

Reply to
Pop

I'd try a pullsaw.

Reply to