What's this piece of furniture called?

I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within my skill level. I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like to look at a plan if any are around. But what do I call the thing when I Google it?

Reply to
rjbonn

Try "foyer bench".

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That's it! Thank you, Dave!

Reply to
rjbonn

------------------------------------ Norm called it :

"Nantucket Settle - Item #903"

Check out New Yankee Workshop web site for the above.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Deacons Bench" is what it's called around here.

Reply to
Swingman

Monks' bench

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

"That goddamned bench I keep tripping over in the hallway."

-- Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good. --Harry Dresden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hinged seat? Sounds a lot like a toilet or a Porta-Potty.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"rather wide" might indicate a two holer.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sounds very much like a hallway seat with the space under the seat for blankets or shoes, galoshes, or overboots,. whatever you call them there.

Reply to
George W Frost

If the back is tall the term I use is a hall bench or tree. The tree is stretching it a bit, as a tree is usually just for coats and hats, but that's the term.

You could also be quite literal in your search term - wood storage bench.

RicodJour

Or my favorite, the Bumper Dumper!

not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques