What's an old adze worth?

Maybe not this much.

does that iron look like an old file to you?

Rare indeed!

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Mayans were into Adztech weren't they?

10- fricking- K

I am willing to bet that the guy selling it has a brother in a very high place in Nigeria.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes, he says it is made of an old file.

I don't understand what he means by saying he will except the best offer. Does that mean he will accept the second best? Why?

Reply to
Toller

Sounds reasonable, he says it's worth ten times the asking price. And you also get a dollar off shipping if you pay by money order.

B.

> Saaaaay, does that iron look like an old file to you?

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

That's $9999.95 more that I would pay. The shipping seems reasonable. Happy Holidays.

Larry Jaques wrote:

Joe_Stein

He claims it's priceless and then puts a price on it...

Reply to
LRod

I don't think this is an adze, I think this is a wahintke. It is a scraper used to remove the thin membrane from the inside/outside of a deer, buffalo, elk, etc. hide. Could also be used to remove the fat before drying the hide. As to the value, well, do you watch the Antiques Road Show? Watched one episode where an old wool blanket, a Navaho Chief's blanket to be precise, was estimated at $350,000 US on a BAD day, and should go for more than $500,000. The guy kept it on the back of his easy chair.

Very brief ramble on brain tanning and use of wahintke follows.

The hide was mounted in a frame. In a buffalo's case, it was staked to the ground, all fat removed, and the hide allowed to dry to rawhide. The wahintke was sharpened as much as possible. With the hide stretched tight you could scrape the hair and membrane off the hair side, then repeat the process on the flesh side. Scrapings from the flesh side were used for glue making (hide glue).

Once all the membrane was removed, the hide was ready to be brain-tanned. We'll skip a couple paragraphs of description here of making brain solution, soaking, wringing (hide not hands), and about 8 hours of real time.

Once the hide is restrung in the frame, you begin working it dry. Lots of things work as a tool here. Baseball bat, canoe paddle handle. The trick is to rub the hide as much and as hard as you can to stretch the leather fibers until it is completely dry. You don't want it to dry too fast or it won't be as soft as it could be. 6 hours is about right. A wahintke is just about perfect for this. I discovered this on the first brain-tan hides I ever did. I found I had not gotten all the membrane off, so had some hard spots on the hide. I grabbed the wahintke (hey, I had a dozen hours into this deer hide at this point) to try to remove the membrane before the thing dried and I had to start all over again. It actually did take the membrane off (amazing considering how slick a deerhide soaked in brain solution is) and turned out one of the most soft and fluffy deer hides I have ever seen. Unfortunately, this is fluffy rawhide, and the first time it gets wet, it will turn into shrunken hard rawhide. So the next step is to smoke the hide (yeah, yeah, I know. They're hard to light.) for 4-8 hours depending on the method you use. Large pamphlets/small books written on this subject.

Anyway, you end up with a chunk of leather softer than the flannel used to pat a baby's butt, with a distinctive wood smoke smell. It gradually fades. 3-5 more northern-sized whitetail hides and you have enough for a set of leggings, breechcloth and a shirt, . Scraps would be used for mocs, bags or to tie your set of Mother of All Pointy Sticks to your ponies (well your woman would. Tipi's belonged to the women, not the men.) when moving camp. Heck, you can even eat it if you get desperate enough (Donner party).

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

It's a fairly recent thing eBay has introduced. There is auction format and fixed price format. Now with best offer you can have a fixed price but people can make an offer below that and the seller can chose whether to accept it. It's an alternative to auction format with a reserve. There's a whopping fee for setting a reserve while best offer is free.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

We learned a new thing on ebay. We offer an item for sale that we have multiples of. Let's say we would take $6 for it, but it sells for $9.35. We now can go down the bidders and offer every one who bid over what we wanted for it ($6) and sell multiple items with only one listing fee. AND, if we want, we can go further down the list until we reach our minimum price. Pretty neat.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

scraper used to remove the thin

Could also be used to remove

Antiques Road Show?

be precise, was estimated

guy kept it on the back of

the ground, all fat removed,

much as possible. With the

side, then repeat the

glue making (hide glue).

We'll skip a couple

(hide not hands), and

things work as a tool

much and as hard as you

want it to dry too fast or

is just about perfect for

I had not gotten all the

(hey, I had a dozen hours

the thing dried and I had to

considering how slick a

and fluffy deer hides I

it gets wet, it will turn

yeah, I know. They're

pamphlets/small books written

pat a baby's butt, with a

northern-sized whitetail hides and you

would be used for mocs, bags

your woman would. Tipi's

eat it if you get

It's from the BC coast, it's an adze

Reply to
Battleax

I looked at the pic again, and I think you're right. The angle is too acute for it to be a good hide scraper.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:13:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Is this with eBay's knowledge and blessings, Steve?

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Definitely. Every transaction goes through them, and final fee collected.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:08:28 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Great, good to know.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

depends on the amount of sag and who it's attached to..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:48:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, mac davis quickly quoth:

Hey, everyone likes a little adze. Nobody likes a smart adze. (Touchè!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

very good, larry!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It's called a "Second Chance Offer." eBay encourages it. It even reminds you which of your sold items are eligible to make SCOs.

Watch out for fake SCO offers from scammers.

"To be sure a Second Chance Offer is legitimate, go to

and click on My eBay. Then sign in and make sure the Second Chance Offer appears there [in My Messages. You should also see a note in Didn't Win next to the original item.] eBay will never send a Second Chance Offer email with the subject line "Question from eBay Member." If you receive an email pretending to be a Second Chance Offer with that subject line, please report it to eBay. You can report this type of email from the Misuse of the Contact an eBay Member Feature page."

Reply to
Dhakala

"Dhakala" wrote

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said, "You can see a lot by observing."?

I have been doing ebay for years, and am a Power Seller. And I just found out about it last month.

DUH!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB