What's a good height for a router table?

Okay, I'm on the last leg of my planning efforts for a router table. My workbench is 35" high, but playing around with some mock-setups, it seems that a router table might do well to be a bit higher.

Right now, I'm planning on a height of 39".

Oh, I'm 5' 10".

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Mine is about 34 inches. I would like it better if it were the same height as my table saw. In fact, it might help to be an inch higher that the table saw. The height thing is so subjective however. I am 5' 11" or so. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jack,

You may want to take a look at Pat Warner's site

and see what he has said about router table working heights. Mine is mounted into my tablesaw extension since I'm short on room but if I did have a separate table it sure would be higher than 34". I think for your height, 41" would be about right.

Bob S.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
BobS

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Put adjustable feet on it so that you can tweak it just like you like it. It really all boils down to where you hips are and how long your arms are. For some tall may be just right for others shorter may be better.

Reply to
Leon

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I'm the same height. Mine is 1/2" higher than the workbench. Why? It sits next to it and if I run a piece over the edge it will not bump on the bench top. Whatever feels good to you. Most commercial units are in the 35 to

36" range but if you like higher, go for it.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was looking at the various router tables on the market and most of them are 35" tall. Some are variable, ranging from 34 to 37. I'll set up a mock table at 41 and try that. The 39" height seemed WAY better than the height of my bench (35").

I might even consider raising the height of my bench!

Jack

BobS wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

36-11/32"
Reply to
Robatoy

My workbench is at 34", my router table at 36.5" and I could use it a couple of inches higher. 41" would be way too high for me (I'm 5'11")

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

The larger the stuff you work with, the lower. I have a shaper for the heavy lifting at 34 1/2, so the router table is at my elbow height like the centerline of the lathe. Your inseam, not your overall height, is what counts. I had to run a mile to compress my spine to make the 37 1/2" sitting height max for USAF, and I'm only 6'.

Reply to
George

I'm only 5'4" so 41" would be a to high for me, but its actually a good working height for most people so I found out. My sister-in-law (5'7") makes crafts and wanted a large L shaped workbench built at 41". I thought she was crazy at first but I built it and it works perfectly for her. No bending over and if she wants to sit, a wooden stool works great. While I was trimming it out, I used it to route some of the trim pieces and found it was a lot easier to route items when you aren't hunched over them. Later, I found Pat Warner has a router bench that he uses which is about that height (or so it appears).

Its worth your time to do a little experimenting if you plan on using the router a lot and I have to admit that after reading a couple of Pat's books, I use mine a whole lot more. I now have 3 routers and use the clear bases from Pat Warner as well as the router fence he designed.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Mine's around 41-42", which might be a little high for most people, but it is what worked given that I built it as an add-on to my Workmate. I actually like the height - so far I've used it for small stuff so lifting isn't an issue. I hate bending over for any extended period of time, and I like being close to the work and being able to see it clearly. I wouldn't want my workbench this high, but it is good for table-routing. I like the idea of building in adjustable legs to be able to tweak the height, but if it were me, I'd try a few heights, and pick one that works. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sorry I forgot to mention - I'm 6'1".

Reply to
Andy

The other thing, of course, is that some folks are "all legs" and others aren't. As you say, it's mostly see what works for you and go with that.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Dam you're pretty short there Robatoy..........but precise .......;-)

Reply to
BobS

Well, based on what people have said, I'll rig it up for my best guess height and make it so that I can easily (or at least not with having to reinvent the world) make it so that I can adjust the height at a later date if necessary.

I think the way I'll do this is by having a toe-kick platform (on wheels) that screws into the base. If necessary, I can unscrew the base and modify the height. But of course, even this approach has its limitations.

Thanks!

Jack

Andy wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Jack,

I am 5' 11" and I built mine a total of 42" including the caster and find it to be perfect for me. Each of us have a different comfort level and I really do not think it is a case of one size fits all. Experiment around and find a height that feels good and then plan around that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob N

I'm the same height, and my table is 37" I think 39" would be OK, but would not want it any higher. OTOH, it's easy enough to make it high, then trim it off as desired.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

You should stand before a tape and place your arms in a comfortable position and mimic working pieces. If it feels good Do it!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369+++

Use the adjustable height of the drill press table as an experimental platform. Should tell you in no time what is right for you.

Routers

pat

Now you know why we pay Pat the big bucks........great ideas and solutions!

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS