What machine for cutting down 6x6 posts?

If I understand your description of the problem, you do not need to match the size of the total post. You only need to match the size where the railings join. Thus you can use an oversize post and remove material only where the rail joins. You can remove material in a restricted zone with a router or with shallow cuts with a saw.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Hello group:

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions. Hand planers, saws, etc. - all good suggestions. I don't have a lot of woodworking tools but as suggested I can rent, or even borrow, as long as I know the correct tool to get. Even the idea of building up the posts from smaller lumber sounds good. I also like the idea of looking into a local woodworking club, or perhaps even a community college. As this is an old house I'm trying to duplicate the appearance of the original posts as much as possible so as to keep things looking correct. This as much a restoration as it is a repair. I think I now have a good idea of what direction I need to go in.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. You've all been very helpful.

Reply to
C.A. Decker

Where do you live (general location). Some one might be just up the block or section that can help you.

"C.A. Decker" wrote:

Reply to
clutch