What is the proper term for chemicals used to color wood via chemical reaction

ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age or color wood via a chemical reaction. Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the chemicals used?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Fuming

Reply to
Leon

Now now, don't get angry...

OK, just kidding. That's what you call it when you use ammonia vapor, but not when you apply the chemical in aqueous solution, right?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Ooooh yeah.

Reply to
Leon

One word that would apply to sodium hydroxide and nitric acid when in contact with organic materials is that they act as 'denaturants.' They alter the structure of proteins, a process called denaturation. A drop of nitric acid will produce yellowish brown stains on skin.

As to the other chemicals, I don't know if the same thing applies. I seem to remember potassium dichromate had a strong orange color, but I think you're looking for effects produced through a chemical reactions.

Reply to
kimosabe

There is no one word that characterizes the use of "chemicals" to color wood. Since they react with the wood itself, unlike a pigment or dye, perhaps "reactives" might be a good shorthand. Fuming is specific to ammonia. Acids like nitric and sulfuric as well as things like potassium permanganate are all oxidants. They color the wood by oxidizing the wood components. Dichromate both oxidizes and dyes the wood. Think of oxidants acting as a very controlled "burn".

Reply to
Baron

Now now, don't get angry...

OK, just kidding. That's what you call it when you use ammonia vapor, but not when you apply the chemical in aqueous solution, right?

Correct, direct application is not fuming. I don't remember what he called it but David Marks once used this on one of his shows. I believe that potassium dichromate was what he used.

Reply to
CW

I think the term is "distressing", which also covers deliberatly damaging furniture to make it look old or antique.

Reply to
Stuart

That's called "Minwaxing" here.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RE: Your sig.

Yes, I can remain still on an escalator for quite some time.

Reply to
Theodore Edward Stosterone

I was thinking aback about DM also but I thought he was using the chemicals on metal surfaces rather than wood.

Reply to
Leon

I was thinking aback about DM also but I thought he was using the chemicals on metal surfaces rather than wood.

I remember the metal piece but I thought that he also did one with wood. Could be wrong. Long time ago.

Reply to
CW

Or any finishing using polyurethane.

Reply to