Wood color

x-no-archive:yes

I am getting some rough cut red oak ready for a small project. I noticed some of the boards are "lighter" colored than the main board I was going to use. Will this be very noticiable after it is stained?

Reply to
stryped

Soak all the boards in bleach for 2-days. Let them dry and they should all be the same shade of white. Then apply your stain.

Is this for your bed?????????????

Reply to
stoutman

Reply to
stryped

I was actually joking. This guy is a troll.

Reply to
stoutman

Reply to
stryped

Perhaps, then, you should not behave like one

Reply to
Stephen M

Reply to
stryped

If you are a troll, you are not very funny.

If you are not a troll... Wood varies; you should try to match color and grain. If it is a dark stain, the difference will be minimized.

I just made a table out of mahogany. I didn't notice until I planed the wood that there were two distinct colors on different boards; and I didn't have enough wood to make the table out of just one. I spent a good deal of time making up a dye that would make the light wood look like the dark wood. Now that it is done, you can't tell at all.

Reply to
Toller

The first indicator is the persistent use of x-no-archives. This is very 'Troll Like'.

Reply to
stoutman

The second indicator is asking the same question over and over and over:

Stryped most common questions:

"Can I joint an edge on a board by passing it through the planer on edge?"

or

"What should I buy first a jointer or a planer?"

Reply to
stoutman

If you wipe your proposed stock down with paint thinner you will get a rough approximation of final finish.....if too loud or splotchy try a stain to even out the colors....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

x-no-archive:yes

I asked those questions before I decided to buy a planer or jointer. I bought a planer. I have not asked that question since.

Now that I need a way to joint, I asked about edge jointing on my planer. What is wrong with that. I am really getting disgusted with the people that are not helping. Like I said, if you are tired of my questions then dont answer.

It really ticks me off that you tried to "sabatoge" my knife drawer/cutting board project by trying to suggest something that would ruin in. (Soaking in pure bleach for 2 days.) You said to someone else that you just said it because I was a troll but for all you know I could have done it.

I have taken advice of alot of people on here. I have built a jig out of MDF for my planer so I can face joint on it. I have also built a straight edge with handles on it out of 2 inch metal strap so I can nail it to my rough cut boards to produce a straight edge without a jointer.

I would understand if I were posting topics not related to woodworking but everything I have posted has been related to woodworking. Why are you not posting to the guy that ocassionally posts on here about the Iraq war and all the people that have died over there? Why is he not labeled a troll?

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
stryped

x-no-archive:yes

That is the problem I have. How did you make the dye?

Reply to
stryped