What is it? Set 488

The only other thing that comes to mind is a plug cutter for making wooden plugs .

Other than that Im done.

Reply to
Bluey69

I looked it up. It is called a traveller or wheelwright's traveller.

Now my confusion is greatly reduced. I still have the nitpicking issue that wheels have to be round. The traveller, run around the circumference doesn't check that the wheel isn't slightly elliptical. If the wheelwright spins the wheel to check that it is round, then a yardstick should do a good job of checking the size. But... I've learned not to argue with or question a professional doing his job.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

They were used to measure the circumference of the wooden wheel then transfer this measurement to the straight metal strip to cut it the right length to fit over the wooden wheel. Try doing that with a yardstick.

Reply to
G. Ross

With this tool mathematical equations are not required. Simple as you can get....

Reply to
Phil Kangas

You don't need a mathematical equation if you simply put the correct markings on the measuring stick.

Seems like measuring with a non-elastic string or wire would be more accurate than running a wheel around another wheel.

Reply to
jim

Wheels had hubs. Besides, they didn't stay round.

If a customer had a damaged wheel, I think giving it a spin under the traveler would be an easy to see what size it had been.

Measuring flat iron for a tire was easy: roll the wheel along it, then cut 2 or 3" longer. Bending it into a circle would shorten it. That's where the traveler came in: measure the wheel and measure the C-shaped tire before welding.

Reply to
j Burns

Good guess! Plug cutter is correct. It was a good week, I'm always happy when the mystery items all get identified. The answers for this set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2839: According to H. G. Holmstrom in _Modern__Blacksmithing_ (1904), the traveler was not required to measure the flat iron. It was used after the tire was bent into a circle, which was probably irregular.
j Burns

Thanks for the link, I added it to my answer. I didn't have time to read the whole article but will read it later today or tomorrow when I get time.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2844. My guess would be a key for unbolting a manhole cover.
Reply to
Nova

2846: The arms look spindly. I wonder if they're metal. Near the arms, there's a wide groove across the board on the side that would be up. I wonder if it's for slicing through something instead of cutting against the board. The last raised portion could serve as a visual gage to slice something into 1" pieces and drop them into a container about 24" in diameter. I've never seen a barrel of pickled eel. 2848: Are the push buttons electrical? There are mirror sundials. Perhaps XI is for the hour around 11 AM and the XII is for the hour around noon.
Reply to
j Burns