What is it? Set 465

Wow, I thought I was grumpy... no power , not able to build anything.

Maybe I'm not that grumpy.... Dave Baker is certainly grumpy....

Rob I d>> >>> I need some help with the second and fourth items this week:

Reply to
tiredofspam

Don is a good guy, and he is telling people which group he's part of, becasue the thread is crossposted to three newsgoups.

news:rec.crafts.metalworking news:rec.puzzles and news:rec.woodworking

Some people should never be let out ot their mother's basement. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

------------------------------------------ Does knowing where the post came from speed up the solutions?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't say that in *all* postings -- or even in all postings in this newsgroup -- just in the initial set of guesses to each set of puzzle photos.

Since this puzzle set is *always* cross-posted to three newsgroups:

rec.crafts.metalworking rec.puzzles rec.woodworking

and since I once requested that others also post where they were from, so I could try to figure out which group got the greatest number of identifications of puzzle objects (pure curiosity), I do as I requested others to do. (The usenet headers only show that it is cross-posted to the three newsgroups, not which group a given individual posted a given followup in.) If the headers included that information, I would not have needed to ask.

Since you think that I *always* post that line, you must be reading this in one of the other two newsgroups, so you don't see most of my other postings -- just those related to the puzzle set. (And, you don't notice that I don't use that line when commenting on other's suggestions. :-)

After all -- different types of objects are more likely to be guessed (or positively identified) by someone in a particular newsgroup related to the type of object. I expect metalworking tools to be more often identified by people from rec.crafts.metalworking.

If you don't like to read that line once per week, you can always killfile me. And if you can't be a bit more polite in the future, I may do just that with you.

Is this a sufficient answer? DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Only for very tiny minds. It's intended as a courtesy to let people on other group know that he's not a lurker on their groups. Anyone with more than half a mind wouldn't have to ask your stupid questions.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"DoN. Nichols" wrote

Hey Don, posting from rec. woodworking, I just want to say that I look forward to looking at your posts each week. Sometimes you get it. And sometimes you miss by a mile. But you TRY!. You give it a shot. And what is most pleasant, is that you give some background and logic behind each answer. Right or not, I always enjoy listening to someone think.

You are a good guy in my book. Regardless of those individuals who lack the style and class to appreciate the process involved in trying to divine the function of arcane tools. I grew up around those kinds of tools. We adapted horse drawn farm equipment to pull behind a tractor. And we often made or adapted old tools for a new purpose. I can relate, very well. And I particularly relate to the mental gymnastics involved in trying to solve a problem with some simple tools and a limited capacity to make new tools.

I got a few of them right. And I feel good about that. I think anybody who likes tools can appreciate this little weekly puzzle. Don't pay attention to the rogue's gallery. You are doing it right in my book.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

---------------------------------------------------- "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ You are entitled to your observations regardless of your lack of knowledge of the subject.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hear Hear!!!

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

Yawn.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks. I like to give my thinking process on the puzzles, in part so others can perhaps work from what I suggest to get even closer to the answer. (And I tend to usually hit the newsgroup late enough so it is likely that someone else has already given the correct answer, which is why I post before I read on -- or read the suggestions posted at the end of the puzzle blog.)

Only rarely is it something which I recognize right off. (And sometimes I even am misled by the color in the photos -- sometimes making wood look like metal or vise versa. :-)

Quite often I can use what I see in the puzzles as starting points for solutions to my own problems.

Thank you, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Haven't been home much this weekend so I'm late putting in my two cents here, but I agree with those who said they enjoy reading DoN's guesses. People have been sending in some difficult items, even when we don't get answers I ususally email the guesses to the owner. I certainly don't have all the answers so I appreciate everyone's help. Keep up the interesting posts DoN!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Me too! I like it when Don's right because he knows more than I. I like it when he's wrong because he knows more than I. :)

Reply to
j Burns

Thanks to you and the others for your support.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

+1