What is it? Set 336

Two wings plus irony is my guess.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Dumbell shot for cannon--used for tearing down masts & rigging on old ships. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

1927) Kind of difficult to make out details. It is a bit dark and unless I save the images and process them to boost the gamma I will have difficulties.

However -- based on what I *can* see, how about the possibility that it is a grooving plane for making tongue and groove board edges?

1928) Reinforcing plate used on old brick buildings. There is a steel rod going through the building with one of these on each end just outside the walls. It spreads the force of the rods out so the bricks don't crumble, and allows the rod to keep the bricks from bowing out and collapsing. These are quite common on the brick buildings in Old Town Alexandria (Virginia). 1929) A cheese slicer, perhaps? 1930) I did save this image, and have discovered that it is too heavily jpeged to allow any kind of detail on the objects.

As a guess, they might be beehives?

1931) Perhaps a "bucking bar" held against a relatively thin workpiece to provide the necessary resistance when setting rivets. It looks rather rough on this end for that, and looks like wrought iron, so perhaps another function.

Perhaps an anchor for a rowboat? There the finish would not matter.

1932) For sliding around blocks of ice? Looks as though it would produce a nice grip in one direction, at least.

It could also be used for cutting a groove in such a block, to make it break where desired.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Rob,

Without the link to the larger image I can't do it. It showed up on my Norton as 4 instances of something like 'Bloodhound' virus. Hope that's enough to go on. If they want more, give me the link and I'll copy the message.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

They're called gib plates. The ends and rods together are called earthquake rods or bolts. I didn't know what the gib plates were called so I had to look them up.

"Visible evidence of the 1886 quake can be observed as earthquake rods, which consist of long steel rods extending through buildings and tightened at each end to pull the opposite exterior walls closer together." Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

1930 just bales of hay, some covered
Reply to
Mouse

1930 is huts for raising fighting roosters?
Reply to
jeboyd

They're called gib plates. The ends and rods together are called earthquake rods or bolts. I didn't know what the gib plates were called so I had to look them up.

"Visible evidence of the 1886 quake can be observed as earthquake rods, which consist of long steel rods extending through buildings and tightened at each end to pull the opposite exterior walls closer together." Karl

--------

Thanks! I like the sound of "earthquake bolts".

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, that's what they were used for.

-----

All but the last one were identified correctly this week, you can check out the answers here:

Rob H.

I did a search on "tie bolt escutcheon" but the only hit I got on it was back to this thread, maybe you saw it in a book?

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

If that is intended as serious, here that would be better known as a coyote snack bar...

:)

Where are those then, pray tell????

--

Reply to
dpb

Actually I think they are for roosters but his answer was close enough, check out the photo at the answer for this one:

Rob H.

These are also found in old town Alexandria, Virginia, not an area with a history of serious earthquakes. I have at least one photo from about 1962 or so which shows one, and I remember seeing them in many places -- both the star shape and the 'S' shape ones as well.

Yes -- they are probably used for earthquake reinforcement in areas where earthquakes are common -- but they are also used in old brick construction buildings (e.g. most of these buildings are pre Civil War in construction -- including the house which my folks had in Alexandria when I was a kid -- up part way through college.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

No, Rob, I "saw" it during an on-site six year historical and anthropological study of old Colonial Williamsburg.

Almost every building in that colonial capital over one story had them. The escutcheons were artistically fashioned by local smiths to suit the builder/owner, and had all variety of shapes from stars to hearts to family crests.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns9D78D4855D5B3lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

I should have said "stone or brick building". Frame buildings used collar ties.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

DoN. Nichols wrote: ) I have to disagree (at least in part) with 1928. ) ) These are also found in old town Alexandria, Virginia, not an ) area with a history of serious earthquakes. I have at least one photo ) from about 1962 or so which shows one, and I remember seeing them in ) many places -- both the star shape and the 'S' shape ones as well. ) ) Yes -- they are probably used for earthquake reinforcement in ) areas where earthquakes are common -- but they are also used in old ) brick construction buildings (e.g. most of these buildings are pre Civil ) War in construction -- including the house which my folks had in ) Alexandria when I was a kid -- up part way through college.

They are also used in the Netherlands, which has virtually no earthquakes, and certainly none that would affect buildings. They are simply used to keep the walls from being pushed apart by the roof.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

564
Reply to
kfvorwerk

Those pictures look different than ours. Ours are 1" or so rods spanning the width of the building with the gib plates and nuts on the outside of the walls. On the interior it looks like the rod just goes through the hole in the wall. I've never seen one up close though.

Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I'm pretty sure these would be useless in keeping a building together during an earthquake. In fact, the only place I see them referred to when I google 'earthquake rods' is in reference to Charleston. I saw tons of them in Latvia (where it is very seismically stable), and where they were exclusively on stone masonry buildings, usually hundreds of years old. I was told that the purpose there is to provide lateral support as buildings tend to spread as they settle.

--riverman

Reply to
mbuck

Check this out, especially the comment at the end.

--riverman