What is it? Set 246

The neck is not involved at all in this one. The fretbord is a separate piece of wood (ebony or some other hardwood) which is slitted for the frets, and cut to length by the larger diameter blades at one end, and two blades from the other end.

Proably so -- or under a board with slots cut for each blade and the board slid across the top of it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Usually when building a guitar/banjo/etc. the neck is cut to shape and then a groove is cut down the top of the neck to hold a steel truss rod that strengthens the neck. The finger board, or fret board, slotted for frets is then glued over the installed truss rod.

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Out of curosity is it practicle to make fretboards? I ask because Stew- mac seems to sell them cheaper then I'd think you could make your own? Unless it were a special length like the long neck banjos.

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

1387. Around 8" long: Probably used for casting lead mallets. I had a lead mallet about that shape with a steel handle. Still do somewhere, but it isn't that shape anymore. 1389. Approximately 30" long: Looks like one set of saws out of a cotton gin stand. 1392. 5" long: Neat looking church key.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

It certainly is for me (practical to make fretboards). I usually buy fingerboard blanks from various sources or make them up by resawing thicker lumber stock. And some of my instruments have scale lengths you can't get from StewMac. Particularly 35" bass. I can get fretboards in a wider selection of woods from Luthier's Mercantile

but their radius and slotting services are expensive ($18 per fingerboard). So I do buy blanks from them, but I radius and slot them myself to save money. Thus I have two motivations: 1) it saves me money to make my own, and 2) it gives me flexibility in the types of wood, scale lengths, etc.

Sometimes I buy exotic lumber from local sources or from Ebay. Wood already cut to fingerboard size and thickness is quite expensive compared to the per-board-foot cost of similar lumber in standard sizes. And it's nice not to be limited to what certain vendors like StewMac and LMII offer.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

The directions look like they were from the '50s or '60s I used to live betwen them, in Middletoewn, and would like to see the rest of the directions. If it went up the western side, it would have passed through wide spots in the road, like Blue Ball.

I would guess they used St Rt 25 or St Rt 4, since they were the main roads before I-75 was built, and street names changed, or disappeared as new highways were built. BTW, I-75 runs parallel to St Rt 25 most of the way.

Also, I-71 goes to Columbus, not Dayton I-70 runs between Dayton & Columbus.

I-75 was built to replace St Rt 25 for big trucks, and faster travel, and all the stop signs and traffic lights, along with all the 30 MPH zones. It was built in the mid '60s, so that has to be older.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At one time I worked as a gunsmith and found that some jobs wern't financially viable - they took too much time and you just couldn't bill a large amount for the job. I had assumed that, other then unusual lengths, fretboards would fall in the same catagory - too many manhours for what you could charge to make one.

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Reply to
RoyJ

I took the picture at the flea market so I don't have access to the device, but someone on Neatorama found a book that has routes for all over the country for the same time period. They probably copied the directions for the bus drivers from this book:

Rob H.