What is it? CLXXIII

1002. An annoying, very poorly designed gear puller.
Reply to
osmium

I am not sure what it is either but it could be used to mark the center of dowels.

Reply to
Leon

I believe it may be to measure discs something like coin blanks and the holes are to push the disc out if it is a little tight. The very wide range seems unusual. Maybe a button gage?

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Serendipitously, as I've been celebrating my 50th class reunion at venues in Ogonquit, Maine and Cambridge, Massachusetts all week, it appears that someone at my alma mater are still trying to sell that wireless power transmission idea, as reported in The Boston Globe yesterday:

don't doubt that schemes like that can work, but it's hard for me to believe that they'd be very efficient, so probably not practical for significant electrical loads.

Speaking of efficiency, yesterday SWMBO and I spent a few hours in and around the wackiest looking building I've ever seen firsthand, the new Stata building at my alma mater, funded largely by classmate, Ray Stata, and his wife:

of the more interesting things I learned about the building is that it has no interior space heating system at all. The building has superb thermal insulation. It has A/C to cool it down when needed, but the heat from the occupant's bodies and all the electrically powered stuff inside is sufficient to keep it "warm" even in the middle of a Massachusetts' winter. Imagine that...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

And no one mentions the physiological implications of living in that kind of a magnetic field... or the results of something else being introduced into the field that accidentally resonates...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster