What can you with a lathe?

---snip stuff about a fancy router jig---

Joe- I'm glad you like your tool. it sounds like a neat machine- I think I'll go ahead and get some of the manufacturer's info. I have seen this kind of thing before, and it looks very useful.

HOWEVER, the damn thing is not a lathe, so your posts are off topic for this thread. if you want to discuss it further, please start a new thread.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

One hopes not, but one has been disappointed before.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You just don't get it do you ? I ENJOY playing in my shop. I make = cardboard boxes for a living I don't need to work when I get home I need = to relax. Wood working fits the bill. If its making a oak end table for = my Mother or scrolling out a dog out line clock for my Daughter, she is = an Army M.P. in the K9 corps, or just turning a dice cup out of some = scrap I laminated together. IT'S FUN GET IT. Puff

You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you install them on the chair or chest you are building. Fun is when you make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is building his house. Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's. Fun is knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends that just have a lathe. Fun is being able to complete a project because you're not 'playing' on a lathe. Fun is seeing results in minutes. Fun is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an exact duplication. Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a lathe duplicator. Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish a project.

Need I go on.

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Some will, JOAT and I have never spoken up on that side of the argument. Back to our powered apple corer thread. Ruth was pretty specific about it being the turner not the lathe as well. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Really haven't made anything very practical with my lathe. Probably never will.

My other woodworking projects are similar to my work in that they are large project which take a long time from start to finish, thus the gratification is delayed (still enjoyed, but delayed). Also wood costs some $$$.

With my lathe, I can take a scrap of wood from anywhere (drive around after a windstorm) and in less than an hour create something very satisfying. It also forever changes how you look at downed tree limbs.

So if you used to enjoy it, definitely go out and get one. I can't justify the price of my turning equiptment from what I have made, but I also cannot put a price on the satisfaction I get from turning. Tell THAT to SWMBO.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Phil,

Having bought both some el-cheapo and some top-of-the-line woodturning equiptment, may I suggest that you shop for a quality middle-of-the-road lathe (maybe used). As long as it is sufficiently rigid, you can easily work around most other shortcomings. Aim a little higher in quality for the chisels - I have cheap, average, and expensive - the best ones are WORTH the money. Buy the best (but not necessarily the most expensive) if you want a chuck - anything less will be a disappointment.

I bought an old Craftsman for $50 USD. It has many faults and I hope to replace it someday. Meanwhile I still enjoy using it and am slowly accumulating the quality accessories that I can someday transfer to my new (well, probably used) lathe.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have a couple of 8' aluminum I beams. I have used them in router jigs before. the idea of expanding on the legacy concept has some appeal.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

What makes you think he actually owns one?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone