Want to make a wine rack.. what saw/tools?

Hello,

I want to make a wine rack that looks like:

kind of a saw is going to be best to make those rounded half circle cuts that the bottles sit in?

I'm also going to be purchasing a miter saw. Will that help with this project? I'm pretty new to woodworking.. A miter saw would just help me cut the boards to the proper length, not cut out grooves like that or anything right?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
Keith

phatti snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Keith) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

There are a lot of ways you could do this. Personally I take a piece of wood wide enough to make 2 of these with and cut round holes, using either a hole saw in the drill press or a wing cutter. You could rip the board in half to yield 2 pieces. I'd use a bandsaw for the ripping operation if you have one as it'll be a little easier to do safely, but it could be done on a table saw as well.

Yes, while you can do lots of things with a mitre saw, dadoing and grooving are not among them. Those things can be done with a table saw, radial arm saw or a router. They can also be done in more manual ways using planes, handsaws and chisels depending on the application.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

I built a simple wine rack beneath a bar a few years ago that resembles one of the racks in the photo and this approach is similar to the way I did it.

For the back rack that holds the bottle base, I used a hole saw slightly larger that the "average" bottle of wine. I actually allowed the saw to saw "air" at the top of the hole and then trimmed the rack back to just below the centerline of the cutouts.

I did pretty much the same at the front with a smaller hole saw, then cut away the edge as above. I did arrange them so the bottles were in a slight 'neck up' position that still kept the cork wet. Then, I ran over the edges with a 1/4" cove bit to dress them up a bit. I'll email a photo to you separately.

Reply to
RonB

It bounced my email attempt. I'll post them at abpf

I'll email a photo to you

Reply to
RonB

............and abpw. You might be more familiar with that one.

Reply to
RonB

I have made several wine racks. I use a 4 inch hole saw in a drill press to cut the holes then cut the board with the holes on the table saw so that 1/3 of the hole is on one side of the cut then another cut below the centre line of the hole for the other cut. The piece of board with the smaller circle arc is used for the neck of the bottle while the larger circle is for the body of the bottle. These 2 pieces of board form the front and back of the rack and are simply joined with 2 pieces of board that form the top and bottom of the rack. I then cut half inch pieces from a 1 inch dowel rode and glue then on to the bottom to form legs. Works for me.

Jiggs

Reply to
Jiggsee

Saw? Band saw proll'y. Or a really good jigsaw and plenty of practice. I might try to "template" this. Make a template from 1/2" MDF (using one of the above saws and a rasp, file, or OSS to perfect the curves). Rough cut the stock on the bandsaw, tape template to rough cut, flush trim router bit to the template.

right. If you want to start small - I got over a year of use from Delta's 9" bandsaw (think it's about $90 at Lowe's). I cut a number of similar shapes on that before upgrading. Downside is, now that I have a 14" bandsaw the 9" collects dust. [ Err, poor choice of works because it doesn't but it does... ]

Reply to
patrick conroy

Hi, sorry that e-mail address has gone by the wayside. Could you please send me those pictures at snipped-for-privacy@osu.edu ?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
Keith

pointing out that this site provides some very nice ideas for other wine racks. Scratching your head for some Christmas gift projects? Start here!

Reply to
Puzzled