Walnut Workability?

Reply to
Keith

I too will be working with some walnut in the near future. When you say a decent tight fitting dust mask, do you mean one of the white 'paper' dust masks or do you mean a cartridge type respirator?

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Respirator for sure, unless you like dark brown snot for a week or so after your done.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Impossible to predict/say, since each and every case will be dependent upon the individual woodworker him/herself.

I do seem to have an allergic reaction to at least one aspect of walnut (the smoke), but a good "paper filter" type dust mask is all it takes to make the problem disappear for me.

As always, YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

The dust carries the irritating chemicals in it. Deflect the dust and you should be good. Start with the most comfortable option and escalate as needed. Tight fits aren't usually necessary, as you don't develop much vacuum on inspiration.

Reply to
George

I mean a cartridge respirator, but if a paper mask is what you've got, it's better than nothing.

One or two exposures to walnut dust are unlikely to do much to you unless you've got a specific allergy to it, but it's more toxic than some other woods, and avoiding breathing the dust as much as possible is a good idea. From what I understand, it is one of those that you'll eventually develop a reaction to with repeated exposure, similar to cedar.

Reply to
Prometheus

You may be fine with the dust as it has different effects on some people. I notice nothing but I always stand between the project and a fan when sanding.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for all the advice. When I start on it, I will make sure all the dust control measures are working and start with a mask and move to a respirator if necessary.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos