Wainscoting bedrooms

I'm thinking of making wainscotting in our bedrooms. Each bedroom is about 11'x11'x 8' and the master bdrm has vaulted cealings. I'm not sure at this point of going with raised panels or flat panels. Has anyone here done this type of project? I figured I'd go with 32" (1/3 of 96") but not sure how this would look in the master bedroom with vaulted ceilings.

I've been searching around the net for some ideas and diy info but haven't found too much. Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Reply to
smith_bp101

You're going to want to go higher than 32" for sure. Take a look at some books or magazines, but I'd say for 8' cielings you'll want the top rail or moulding to be around 42" above the floor. Maybe even higher.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Wainscoting should match to the style of the home. There is the Crafstman style with very tall flat panels, there are tall styles with flat upper and lower panels, the very detailed raised panle types with lots o' stacked molding, etc.

One clus is to consider the doors in the house. If you do not or will not have raised panel doors, then the raised panels might be out of place.

I personnaly would have an architechect skilled in interiors provide some basic details. It can be a lot of work and if it ain't right it can be very bad.

Another idea is to look at home magazines and surely Fine Homebuilding, FWW's sister has some back issues with lots o' details once you know what style.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com