Vice needed for portable bench

The only place I have to do my woodwork is a small garage where a car has to be kept every night. There's no spare floor space, so all tools and other devices need to be hung on the wall. For a work bench I'm currently using a piece of laminated worktop with formica on top, thick chipboard underneath and hardwood edging. This I place on trestles for working purposes, then it goes back on the wall when I'm finished.

What's lacking is a vice, but I need one that's both light and with a mechanism that's not so deep that it intrudes into the free space when the bench top is hung on the wall. Is there such a thing and any suggestions where I might find one?

Reply to
ShrivelledHick

For a bench such as you describe alcohol would be a good vice--it sounds a bit unstable for sex.

Oh, you meant a _vise_.

Have you considered making the vise removable so that you can hang it on the wall separately? A vise such as the Parrot Vise

can be very convenient and can be attached to a board that can then be clamped down onto the bench. You could also go with a regular machinist's vise and do the same thing. Avoid like the plague the cheap clamp-on type such as
--they won't stay put.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Upscale

Ah the difference the Atlantic makes, English English Vice = American english Vise!

Reply to
badger.badger

Being the prudent steward of my available resources that I am, a planking vise comes to mind.

A piece of 2x6, a couple of tapered wedges, a few bolts, and your done.

Take a look in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery" for details.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

or perhaps visa versa

Reply to
goaway

Something to think about is a portable workbench like the Workmate. I find mine extremely useful. It has a large vise (can be used horizontally and vertically) and it is easy to add additional vise capability by using hand screws and clamps. I use it for sawing (power and hand), chiseling, routing, holding a mortising jig and other uses. I have two large workbenches and the Workmate and I use the Workmate all the time. You can take it anywhere. When not in use it folds up almost flat (maybe 9 inches) and can be hung on a wall. I guess the Workmate has limitations but if I were short on space it is absolutely the first thing I would buy.

Reply to
Billy Smith

little is the fact that the top of the vice is above the top of the table. I suppose this may be necessary for clamping the vice to the table. I'm used to working with a vice that's flush with the bench top.

Shriv

Reply to
ShrivelledHick

Not only that but alcohol would be nearer the top of the list, simply because I have bottle.

Yes, that too.

Vise

be very

Another nice vice in the first link but it's also high above the table.

Shriv

Reply to
ShrivelledHick

I have 2 Workmates and 2 cheap workmate clones. They're invaluable, though sometimes, relatively large panels seem easier to work with on a bench with a larger surface.

Shriv

Reply to
ShrivelledHick

I have the feeling that this is going to be my kind of vice.

Shriv

Reply to
ShrivelledHick

You will probably find a few other things in that book you will like.

A book that has a chapter titled, "Happiness is a $5 table saw", has got to have some interesting stuff in it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That would be one of these I presume?

vise, but it ought to be for the price.

Reply to
J. Clarke

" snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" opin'd thus:

I have this one on a small workbench in my small downstairs workshop:

mounted the base so that when the vise is removed, the base is flush with the top of the bench, allowing the space to be used for other things. Then when I need the vise, I latch it onto the base. It's not a "woodworking" vise, per se, but I like the action and it has worked well for me.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

I'd also highly recommend "The Workbench Book" by Tolpin - he describes one type of wedge vise with tapered wedges that I've found very handy. Might be similar to the one in the Yacht book, but the workbench book is fun to read and has many other interesting ideas as well. You might also consider drilling some dog holes in your current sheet of ply/portable bench; Lee Valley has something called a wonder dog or wonder pup that might be useful if your work surface is pretty thick. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: | The only place I have to do my woodwork is a small garage where a | car has to be kept every night. | There's no spare floor space, so all tools and other devices need to | be hung on the wall. For a work bench I'm currently using a piece of | laminated worktop with formica on top, thick chipboard underneath | and hardwood edging. This I place on trestles for working purposes, | then it goes back on the wall when I'm finished. | | What's lacking is a vice, but I need one that's both light and with | a mechanism that's not so deep that it intrudes into the free space | when the bench top is hung on the wall. Is there such a thing and | any suggestions where I might find one?

At

(third picture up from the bottom) is a portable vise that I've been using for a dozen or so years. It does a whole bunch of tricks with the included attachments - for example there're two parts that let you clamp a hand drill in place and use the works as a mini-lathe, the jaws can be used upside-down for planing or carving, and I dunno what all else.

I use it as a simple vise, and when I'm not using it it lives clamped to a stud in the shop wall.

Morris Dovey

Seems that there are three original Zyliss vises up on ebay right now that look like they might actually go for reasonable prices. I'd never heard of one before.

Reply to
J. Clarke

or do you mean vica verca?

:)

Reply to
flip+

They have been hustling that thing at every county fair, public hanging, and pancake race they could find for years.

Think they even had a TV infomercial for a while.

As you note, very much overpriced and under peckered.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| That would be one of these I presume? |

|| Nice vise, but it ought to be for the price.

Wow! I bought mine (with all of the accessories except the carrying case) at the Iowa State Fair for less than $100. It _is_ a good portable vise and I've been happy with mine, but I wouldn't be willing to pay the $350 Advanced Machinery is asking...

Morris Dovey