using router table as a jointer

Reply to
stryped

For 12-24" I would say the TS jig/sled in a more realistic scale than 8' long would probably be less trouble with the results being better more likely.

Reply to
Leon

lol

stryped the x-no-archive:yes guy?

Reply to
George Shouse

Yes. The no archive directive he always uses.

Reply to
CW

x-no-archive-does-it-work: nope x-so-why-do-people-do-it: delusions of anonymity

You ask a million questions. Basic questions. Don't they have libraries where you are? Get some books and magazines out and READ. Then get into the shop and DO. It's the only way to learn.

RicodJour

I suppose he thinks that makes the whole thread disappear from his news server as soon as it leaves his mind.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Pssst, his name is "Don". Tom

Reply to
tom

He probably knows better than that but it does make it more difficult to find or fallow.

Reply to
CW

The key to so many questions. JOAT's sig is appropriate to this notion as well. So many questions can easily be answered by a little trial and error. A little experimentation. A little effort. So what if the poster does not "know"? That's what becomes the benefit of simply thinking one's way through a problem and trying a few things. Simply coming to newsgroups, or to other folks with questions *instead* of trying things and learning things, offers little real value. Absent some fundamental understanding, information is useless - there's no real context for the information.

To the OP - grow a set fella. Think about your problem a bit. Come up with a method that uses your logical mind to deal with the issue at hand, and give it a buzz. If it works - great. You'll have discovered something that you know works and that you understand. It becomes a fundamental building block of knowledge. If it doesn't work - look at it and think about it again. Surely you'll see what was appropriate in your idea and what caused your implementation to fail. This is not complex stuff. Change it and give it a buzz again. You'll be getting better with each iteration of your process.

Just think where we'd be if Edison had to wait for usenet to be invented so he could ask questions of all the things he didn't yet know...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Or the Internet?

Reply to
B A R R Y

To the OP: If you're starting from scratch, books are a lot easier. It's nice to approach the subject systematically (not talking about the saw blades, neither!). You could hit the library, take out three books, and in the matter of a week you'd be an old pro at being a beginner. ;) You'd also get far more out of the replies you get on the newsgroup(s).

RicodJour

X-no-archive does work for google archives. The post is available for

6 days:

DejaNews was purchased by Google, Google continued to honor the X-No-Archive protocol. Beginning in 2005, Google's newsgroup service (Google Groups) changed its handling of X-No-Archive, allowing messages with the header to be archived and made available for view for a period of six days; after six days, the message was then deleted from the archive. Other newsgroup archiving services have also followed in DejaNews' footsteps, though the decision not to archive X-No-Archive messages has been entirely voluntary.

Reply to
Larry Bud

One suggestion I'd make: ensure that your router bit is 90-degrees to the surface of the router table.

Fences are nice, but unless the bit is perpendicular, the jointing's going to be a tad off.

Reply to
Brian Siano

If I were you I would take a straight edge with me when purchasing lumber and try to build within your knowledge and equipment capabilities. A planner is nice to have but not the way to face flatten a board (Without making a jig ) Buy lumber with one flat side before planning ( flat side down) . An used # 7 plane can also flatten one side as well. This # 7 plane can also joint your edge. Remember you need one flat edge and one flat face before ripping board or planning.

Reply to
henry

what you are describing is a split fence. that will work.

Reply to
bridgerfafc