Using Leather Dye On Wood

Recently, I ebonized a block of birch for a project. I swabbed on the black leather dye, let it dry, rubbed it in, and finished it coats of a varnish-boiled linseed oil - turpentine mixture. I'm pleased with the results.

I tried the same technique on a piece of red oak, and it also looks good. I plan to try some other colors.

Joel Jacobson

Reply to
joeljcarver

I have an end table and coffe table in my living room that my father built when I was in high school. Pine with a black leather dye finish. He applied the dye then wiped it off. Really made the grain stand out and instead of black, it is mostly brown. I've tried it myself but could never quite get the effect he did.

Reply to
CW

Most leather dyes, at least that I've worked with, are aniline dyes so it makes sense that they would work on wood too.

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer