Using 2HP harbor freight DC on 220v?

This is a question for the owners of the Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector. The website and the manual both say it's 110v @ 20A. I did a search on the WRECK and didn't see any information on this either.

I just wanted to know if any owners out there have actually looked at the wiring to see if it can be switched to 220v instead.

Any insight on if this is possible is greatly appreciated!

-Winthrop

Reply to
Winthrop Chan

HF's website is now offering .pdf manuals on their product pages, in case you didn't know.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

didn't know.

Hi Alex,

Yes, but it mentions nothing about 240.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter De Smidt

I'm not sure how reliable the documentation is. The manual also says to use

16 guage extension cord to carry 15 amps, when the motor pulls 20 amps!!!. Hmmm, I bet they got their 2 HP rating using the Sears inflation-o-meter for measuring motor horsepower.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I've got a new one sitting on my floor in the box still, awaiting a Wynn cartridge conversion. When I get it hooked up, I will measure the current draw with a Kill-A-Watt meter to see what's up.

The postings on the wreck and other woodworking news groups are quite favorable on this machine, and Wynn mentioned the motor was VERY heavy.

There happens to be a electric Motor rebuilder very close to my work, I might take it over and ask them about going to 240v.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

This conversion looks VERY interesting! Thanks for posting.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Rick Wynn of Wynn Environmental advised the filter went out yesterday and to expect it in a week. Might get some time this week to start assembly of the unit itself and maybe take the motor over to K&N to see about 240 possibilities there.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W